Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Where do I go from here....?

Hi everybody,

I have been watching this forum for a while and am trying to learn more about the market for personal investments but also for career advice.

I am currently in my penultimate year studying a joint honours in Management and Psychology in the UK. I have more than likely missed the boat for internships this summer as all of my applications were very last minute, but this has helped me become aware for what will be required of me when applying for a proper job come September.

There are 3 main options I am considering at the moment:
1. Get a job in an investment bank - would like to trade, at the moment leaning towards ForEx
2. Get a job in the finance division in a large corporate (eg Proctor and Gamble) - ideally Financial Analyst for a brand – most companies offer CIMA training or equivalent
3. Get a job in an accounting firm. - This is not something that I can see myself doing long term at the moment, but you never know! But would be using this as a step-up into a bank/finance division

I then have to decide whether I go straight into the workplace in June-September 2008 or whether I go travelling for a year or two first (something I have always been intending on doing and have the money saved up to do but now not sure if it would be better to get a job first and use the money for deposit on a house, etc.). It may be possible to defer a job offer for a year, but this will depend on the company (ie banks much less likely) and how much I can impress them!

Long term – I am not 100% sure what I would like to be doing in the next 5-10 years, I can see myself staying with one company but can just as easily see myself moving between companies and careers. If I was to go into a bank I could quite easily imagine myself setting up my own investment consultant practice a few years down the line.

Sorry this is such a long post, but thank you for reading this far….any help and guidance that anybody can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot
Nick