Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 02-20-2007, 07:29 PM

Default New York City: Your favorite things to do or places to go

SF Bay Area Version

Alright, time for city number two. Tons of New Yorkers here, so let's hear it.

I really don't even know where to start. There's an infinite amount of stuff to do in NYC. So much of what I love to do is just walk around the city. So many great bustling neighborhoods to experience, so many interesting people and things to see.

Bars, restaurants, museums, hotels, neighborhoods, galleries, stores, you name it, New York has every possible variety.

I'll start out with a recomendation for one of my favorite NYC activities. I've done this a number of years. Sept 29, 2007 is the date this year: Fifth Avenue Mile. A mile long race down Fifth Avenue. I do 5Ks from time to time and the occassional 10K, but I'm not a serious runner at all, so it's really fun doing a mile race - you just run really fast. The weather is usually beautiful for this. Just a fun way to start your Saturday in New York.

Please put in at least a little detail about what you post. Just listing random names of things/places is lame.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: New York City: Your favorite things to do or places to go

Le Pain Quotidien was recommended to me from 2p2 NY'ers and it is my favorite bakery in the city. There is about a dozen of them but I go to the one in Central Park.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:51 PM

I usually take my wife and kids once a year. One of our highlights is taking the subway to Brooklyn and walking the Brooklyn Heights Promenade.

We then eat lunch at Grimaldi's (get there early to avoid the line)

and walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge (yea nits, I know the picture is facing Brooklyn [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ).

Old 02-20-2007, 08:05 PM

Gotta see the revised MOMA. The inside space of the building itself is reason enough.

NY Philharmonic at Lincoln Center. Needs no explanation.

St. Patrick's Cathedral.

Brunch at a Sarabeth's location

Oh, and for the hip hop folk, visit the Big L memorial mural uptown
Old 02-20-2007, 08:08 PM

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan is up there on my list.

I love going to the turtle pond in Central Park. That one never ceases to amaze me; smack dab in the middle of the most urban city in the country is this raw piece of nature. I can sit and watch those turtles for hours, knowing that any time I feel like it, I can be in Times Square in ten minutes. It's the ultimate in contrasts.

I also love the Natural History Museum. I love these in general, but the one in New York is so....old school. It really has this air of 19th-century colonialism about it; a sense that it's stocked by the plunderings of eccentric rich explorers and self-taught anthropologists doing their own versions of 'eco-tourism' 150 years ago.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:12 PM

as a jazz guy, I love hitting up the jazz clubs when I'm in NYC.

i like the new iridium as you don't have to deal with the obstructed view that you used to when it was near the lincoln center.

The Village Vanguard is probably my favorite place to visit. Its in the west village off of broadway and can be easy to miss if you aren't paying attention. The atmosphere there is great and they usually put on great acts. I don't know what the current price per set is right now, but it shouldn't be more then 40. There is a two drink cover there
Old 02-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Upright Citizens Brigade theater has great improv, SNL guest appearances, even weekly free shows ... definitely check this out.

Also, Film Forum and IFC are great theaters to check out independent / foreign movies.

The Coffee shop (union square) and Jerry's (soho) for great casual food.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's an infinite amount of stuff to do in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't that the truth. As such, here are some great NYC resources:

Menupages is a website that lists menus of just about EVERY Manhattan restaurant. Its a priceless resource. As a caveat, the reviews they have should not be taken all too seriously b/c of the very small sample size.

Gothamist is a very handy NY blog that is updated every hour or two and covers local news, upcoming concerts, restaurant reviews, and other kinds of fun stuff. A similar site that is more geared to music news/concerts is Brooklyn Vegan.

Citysearch is like Menupages, but covers bars and clubs exclusively. Every neighborhood has something to offer. But every kind of scene can be found.

OK, time to go to the concert. specific questions as to things to do are welcome.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:38 PM

early weekend morning chess in washington square park in the summer. hot coffee, cool morning, quiet park and a handful of $5 speed games with a chess hustler/homeless guy. good times.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:14 PM

Katz's Deli -- best pastrami in the universe. it's basically a big pile of meat, between two flimsy slices of rye bread that have no purpose, and a plate of pickles. kosher-style (though not actually kosher), so mustard only.