Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-28-2007, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Boston Celtics \'07-\'08 Banner 17 Thread

[ QUOTE ]
ummm.. Toronto? Charlotte? Level? These things happen. 82games has Allen rated as a pretty clutch dude, as well.

I'm not really thrilled with Doc in close games late, but right now it's just too soon to tell with this team.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, for me the worry is more about the playcalling than the execution. I believe in all of the Big 3 and even House with the game on the line. They looked horrid on offense in OT against Cleveland. With Rondo throwing up horrible shots, they're lucky they didn't dig too big a hole to get out of. Against Toronto, they went inside to KG on every trip down the court. Where was that tonight?

Also, they seem to be making too many extra passes lately. Pierce is reverting back into pass-when-he-should-shoot mode, which is bad. (but not as bad as shoot-when-he-should-pass mode)
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 AM

GKA and I talked about this; in crunch time the lineup should be house, allen, pierce, posey, KG. thoughts?

having perk/rajon is somewhat of a liability.

also, does anyone else feel like rajon is their little boy? I feel like if I ever met him I'd get the compulsion to go to a candy store w/ him or Toys R' Us or something.

Also, I don't blame this loss on Ray Allen (although possibly I should) - I blame doc on his poor end game management. I'm going to cavs/Cs next week in the garden, and we're going to tear them up
Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 AM

Are there teams out there that understand the 2 for 1? Celts had the ball with 37 seconds left in tie game last night for those that weren't watching. This pisses me off when it happens in the 1st quarter, but when it happens to my team in a tie game late, it really tilts me.

I really don't think it's just Doc though, I see it in most games I watch.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 AM

BobboFitos - I had the same discussion with Seth a couple of nights ago. I don't necessarily mind Rondo in there in crunchtime, but I agree that if he is going to be on the floor, we need to go small to get Perkins out. Even so, it doesn't excuse Rondo's poor shot selection and execution in overtime.

That said, another friend of mine last night mentioned that he likes seeing Rondo out there with the confidence to take those shots, as it is important to his development as a player. I see what he's saying, but I'm not sure I ever see the kid becoming enough of an offensive threat that I want him taking those shots. At the same time, I very much doubt Rajon is taking 12-foot floaters in OT of Game Seven of the Eastern Conference Finals. If he wants to experiment a little during the regular season, that's probably okay.

chev9, I'm pretty sure the Celtics were trying for a two-for-one at the end of regulation, but the play ended up breaking down. I wish I could remember the specifics of the play, but I was paying attention to it because my housemate and I had said "two for one" in unison when we got the ball back with 37 on the clock. My very vague memory is of a deflection or something. Anyway, I'm pretty sure we were trying to get a shot off early, but it's always better to work for a good shot than it is for someone to just throw the ball at the bucket with 28 on the game clock.

I'm not too terribly disappointed with the loss; how often is Gooden going to go 11-for-15? Lebron is good enough that the Cavs become very tough to beat if they get another guy scoring like this, and last night Gooden was that guy.

For some reason I was paying a lot of attention to Perkins last night. He did some good things on both ends, but he still does some mystifying things -- there was one play where KG hit him with a pass and he needed to go up and dunk it, but instead he caught it, took a dribble away from the bucket while the defense caught up to him, positioned himself for a jump hook, then thought better of the whole thing and kicked it out. I can't believe he's been in the league as long as he has and played as many minutes as he has and still lacks that basic awareness. If you are going to be an NBA center with limited skills, you'd better know when you're open enough to jam it.

He also better keep shooting FTs the way he has been -- take out the 1 for 6 against Denver and he's over 70% on the year -- because he's going to get fouled a lot with defenses concentrating on the other guys and KG's ability to find him underneath. He's so slow off the floor, though; once he catches the ball, jumping is like a three-step process.

-McGee
Old 11-28-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GKA and I talked about this; in crunch time the lineup should be house, allen, pierce, posey, KG. thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I think it should be in almost any circumstances in a close game in the last 2 minutes.

Perk is improving, but still has a very low basketball IQ. Big Baby seems to have a lot of smarts and headiness and made a couple of good plays including an offensive rebound and immediate putback instead of holding the ball for 5 seconds first.

How happy did Gabe Pruitt look to be back with the team? He had an ear-to-ear grin on the entire game like a kid on Christmas morning.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I too want Perk out in crunch time, Rondo not so much(he just had a real bad game last night). I would like to see Garnett post up low or just off the block and let him deal with that short/mid range turn around jumper which is just about unstoppable.

If they pack it in and don't let the ball in then it opens it up for the shooters.

Bottom line is that in the few close games, down the stretch, the Celts aren't generating good enough offense and are settling too often for bad shots.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

having perk/rajon is somewhat of a liability.

also, does anyone else feel like rajon is their little boy? I feel like if I ever met him I'd get the compulsion to go to a candy store w/ him or Toys R' Us or something.

Also, I don't blame this loss on Ray Allen (although possibly I should) - I blame doc on his poor end game management. I'm going to cavs/Cs next week in the garden, and we're going to tear them up

[/ QUOTE ]

1 of Rondo/Perk on the floor is fine (assuming the 1 who is in is the one within 3 feet of the basket and not at the top of the key), it's when they are both on the floor it becomes a libality. I personally would rather go with this lineup:

Ray Allen/Pierce/Posey/KG/Perk, put Posey on the best offensive sg/sf. Yes Ray Allen isn't a pg, but all he has to do is bring the ball up (if he can't, Pierce can). Ray Allen is also a better defensive PG than Eddie House would be.

Plus KG doesn't like to play center and struggles on D when matched up with even a half decent center, he is such a better defensive PF than Center it's not even funny. Our d is also sooo much better when both Perk/KG are in than when we just have KG in. Also Posey plays SF where he belongs and is a very good defender at SF. When Posey plays PF he is a horrible defender because he cannot guard PF's.

On offense, feed Pierce the ball and run a pick and roll with Pierce and get the best possible shot, enough of these crappy iso's please, pick and roll is the best play in basketball USE IT. You can also feed KG in the post, keep Perk down low for offensive rebounding/if his man leaves him it's a wide open dunk for perk, since KG always shoots jumpers anyway, and space the floor with Allen/Pierce/Posey. This lineup makes by far the most sense imo.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On offense, feed Pierce the ball and run a pick and roll with Pierce and get the best possible shot, enough of these crappy iso's please, pick and roll is the best play in basketball USE IT. You can also feed KG in the post, keep Perk down low for offensive rebounding/if his man leaves him it's a wide open dunk for perk, since KG always shoots jumpers anyway, and space the floor with Allen/Pierce/Posey. This lineup makes by far the most sense imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft, the celts are an amazing passing team; they should perhaps use mroe of those passes in crunch time!
Old 11-28-2007, 05:47 PM

We need to balance getting a good seed in the playoffs versus killing our starters with minutes.

Orlando will surely cool off, so will we, but at a lesser rate. 53 wins won the East last year. I think ~58 should do the trick this year. That's winning 7 out of 10 games.

I'm actually mostly worried about Ray. Pierce and KG can stay in the high 30s, but Ray will be a lot more productive in the 34 mpg range.

Basically....TONY ALLEN GET HEALTHY PLZ
Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 PM

lol @ the nix