Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-09-2007, 02:21 AM

Default Peeling the flop with one pair (general)

I was thinking today about how I usually peel the flop with one pair when I get reraised by a hand I think is likely to be AA since there are a lot of situations where you can stack them when you hit and also a lot of situations where a scare card comes and you can steal.

But I was thinking about it, and wondering if maybe I shouldn't be peeling a little more in those situations even when I don't have reason to believe against AA. Usually, I'll only peel with top pair if I have a draw with it, or if all three of my sidecards would give me top two. Is this right though? Theoretically, it seems like all you should need is an average hand to peel as long as you have the positional advantage and villain's in an obvious C-betting spot.

Should I be peeling any top pair? Middle pair with good sidecards? Thought this might make a good general discussion topic.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Peeling the flop with one pair (general)

I find it more often in live PLO that you are able to put people on more exact ranges of cards, which enables us to say 'well my middle pair no draw is unlikely to be best now but i can pick up kings, jacks or queens up on the turn which will probably be good and a myriad of draws, and villain is deep and bad enough for me to make it count against him' and I snapcall. More difficult in online games, for sure, but find some sort of analogous situation and call away. It's certainly not a play to be overused, don't forget that we make a lot of our profit from value-towning buffoons who check-call the flop against your 'obvious' AA with top pair looking to two-pair up on the turn.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:20 AM

i think this is an interesting discussion, and certainly one i have given plenty of thought to. i obviously like to peal with a hand like 89TJ on a 9xx board as you can turn a potential well disguised monster. ditto if i hae A9xx sooted and there was one of my suit on board, i know i can turn a flush draw that villan is going to have a very hard time spotting

more interesting is should you maybe raise on these boards against certain opponents?? if you have them pegged on AAxx, then you are going to be around 40/60 if they decided to felt AAxx. i suppose if i had position i would rather peal, and OOP maybe a c/r is a better play?? its obviously a high varience play and should only really be opponent and situational specific, but a weak player is going to have a hard time calling a c/r with just an overpair, as you are essentially representing a set
Old 11-09-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
l. More difficult in online games, for sure, but find some sort of analogous situation and call away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a bit more difficult, but with PAHUD and PTO it's not really that much harder. I peel with one pair against the 40/2 types that have only ever shown me AAxx in raised pots all the time. Raising their flop PSBs (either c/r oop or just a raise IP) on any sort of very scary board with any four cards is also free money (unless you have a note that says DNB CANNOT FOLD of course).