Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 04-23-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Decent beginner equipment

OK, here's my background:

-22 years old, 23 in June.
-Been a hack for a few years, playing decades-old hand-me-down stuff.
-Still not very good, but I want to play a lot this summer, and I want to have a new set of my own.

I don't want to break the bank, but I'm willing to listen to options. Basically if I eff up a shot and tweak my shaft or something I don't want to be out $200 on my 7-iron.

Should I look into buying a pre-built set off the shelf at one of my local golf stores or should I spend extra and get stuff prebuilt to my size. I'm about 5'11", 185, and right-handed.

Thanks for the help, golf forum. Will continue to post here as I start to actually get back out from the winter depths here in MN.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Decent beginner equipment

Don't ever look for pre-build clubs, if you can help it.

I'm not sure what "break the bank" is for you, but you can easily get a nice set of irons in the 5-600$ range.

What I would do if I was you, is try to find a driving range who offers club fitting. They should bring out bunches of clubs/shaft combos, and help you find what is best for you.

If you find a club you like, you can still go find it used at your local golf shop, and get it custom fit, or you can just buy it from that driving range if they make you a good deal.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't ever look for pre-build clubs, if you can help it.

I'm not sure what "break the bank" is for you, but you can easily get a nice set of irons in the 5-600$ range.

What I would do if I was you, is try to find a driving range who offers club fitting. They should bring out bunches of clubs/shaft combos, and help you find what is best for you.

If you find a club you like, you can still go find it used at your local golf shop, and get it custom fit, or you can just buy it from that driving range if they make you a good deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have been more specific - I'd like to get the entire thing - irons, driver/3-wood, and putter for under $1k. About $500 or so for the irons sounds right, leaving me a little breathing room on the other stuff.

I will be checking out the driving range 5 minutes from my house when school gets out in a few weeks, see if they have any deals. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:10 PM

At your size I'd say go for the custom fitting and ask what your specs are. They may very well tell you standard length, standard lie, in which case there will be lots of used sets which were basically custom made for you.