Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 11:07 AM

Default Stand up to the frothing maniac?

$100 NL table, .50/1.00 blinds. I've been playing for about an hour and the table seems a bit weak. A bunch of limp/fold pf.

Maniac sits down with $30 and shoves all-in preflop to lipmers on three consecutive hands. on the second shove, his A6o gets called by TT, but Maniac catches an ace to win.

I'm UTG+1 and pick up 88. I make it $4 to go, and sure as clockwork, Maniac pushes all in for $53 total. Everyone else folds. I have Maniac covered.

What should I do?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Stand up to the frothing maniac?

if he's doing this everytime, you can probably wait for a better hand. if he has two overs it's a coinflip. close call though.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if he's doing this everytime, you can probably wait for a better hand. if he has two overs it's a coinflip. close call though.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you say is true, but I had two other considerations here:

I saw him turn over A6o on one of his shoves. If he plays ace-x like that my 88 could easily be a 2:1 favorite.

I can easily fold and wait for a better spot, but I don't want to pass this opportunity only to see someone else gobble him up on his next all-in move. He really could have anything here, and most of his anythings are solid underdogs to my eights.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:32 AM

is this the fourth hand he's played and the fourth push? if so then you are likely ahead of his range. Calling is fine.
If we say that he is pushing roughly with any Ace ,any K or any 2 8+ then 88 is ahead about 60:40. That range is only around 45% of hands too.

In this situation you will often be up against one over card and one under like A6o in the other hand - in that case you are 70:30 favourite and that is why calling here is sound, we are rarely a big dog and often well ahead.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:32 AM

If he's doing this every hand, instacall.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:52 AM

Yes, this is the 4th consecutive hand he's pushed. The first push was uncalled. The second push was called (A6o). The third push was uncalled.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, this is the 4th consecutive hand he's pushed. The first push was uncalled. The second push was called (A6o). The third push was uncalled.

[/ QUOTE ]

call w/o even thinking about it.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:59 AM

This is a really easy call closing the action. It's not like your always flipping or dominated. You've already seen him do it with A6, a hand you crush and given it's his 4th straight all in it's most likely he's pushing atc so you could easily be up against something you are a massive fav against like pp's<88 and 67s type stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
if he's doing this everytime, you can probably wait for a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very likely that once he busts he leaves the table. You may not get a better chance. It's not like this is a marginally +ev spot. There's a very good chance that his range is atc cards and that this spot is hugely +ev.

Paul
Old 06-10-2006, 12:07 PM

I had a similar situation in a home game last night, but with two maniacs who push 50% or more of their hands. Not necesarily the best 50% either.

The first pushed, the second overpushed. I cover both. I have 88 on the button. Blinds are weak and will be folding.

What do I do now?
Old 06-10-2006, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a similar situation in a home game last night, but with two maniacs who push 50% or more of their hands. Not necesarily the best 50% either.

The first pushed, the second overpushed. I cover both. I have 88 on the button. Blinds are weak and will be folding.

What do I do now?

[/ QUOTE ]

fold