Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 02:42 AM

Default My Story (tl; dr)

I didn't really know where to post this, but considering the majority of my posts have been in MTT i might as well.

I've been a MTT player my whole life, i have good skills but 0 bankroll management. I've probably been busto 10 times, each time i find a little stake and win a multi, only to go busto again. Im not talking little multis either, I have probably 8 or 9 3k+ scores under my belt.

Why do I keep going busto? Because I tilt. I like playing 2/4 NL, so I go there and take bad beats and lose, or just play like [censored] and lose. I'll enter every 100+ tournament I can play in, score decent but not really give a [censored] because hell, I have more money left.

Eventually its all gone and I have to start over again. With proper roll management I would probably have a 30k roll right now and be living considerably better. It's pretty embarassing considering I have talent and have gotten some breaks, but haven't done anything to apply those talents to higher levels. I know I am a solid winner in multis, the fact is once I have money in the account small tournaments don't cut it for me any more mentally and i'm not properly rolled for the bigger ones.

I had a pretty big month, and probably blew half of it doing the aforementioned things. Now, I feel that theres only way for me to take the next step - learn how to seriously manage a roll.

I deposited 700 on UB this afternoon, and I'm going to play with a 20 buyin roll until i reach the next level, and so on and so forth, also probably playing the 30+3 every night. No 100 bangers, no 2/4, no taking shots, stepping away when i'm stressed or tilty, finishing other obligations first so that I can play with a clear mind, [censored] like that.

Sorry for rambling, but I've been quite dishonest as to the state of my roll to many people and its nice to get my faults out there so that other people (as well as I) can learn from my mistakes.

Here's to never being busto again,

Bakes
Old 12-19-2006, 03:02 AM

Default Re: My Story (tl; dr)

good luck with the new plan, but actions speak louder than words with stuff like this. lots of people profess a reformed outlook only to regress later -- hope you aren't one of them!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:06 AM

yea hopefully first time is the charm.

i do have a steady stake for the million though, so how about this: if i win i'll pay one of you responsible chaps to hold my roll for me.

but no penis on back plz kthxbai
Old 12-19-2006, 03:09 AM

I always assumed penis on the back was kind of a given regarding roll holding, count me out.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:11 AM

Good luck. Just make sure you absolutely force yourself to stand by the words you wrote. It's much easier to write ideas than to execute them.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:14 AM

ummmm, this is like WAY TOO familiar to me too dude. I mean way too familiar so I know exactly what you mean and are going through. i've never been afraid to take a shot and have done pretty decent but never a big score (see my 2nd post in Bond18s thread on running bad for what i mean). I'll say it here too though, in the last 3 months i have gone deep ITM in a 30r(Stars and UB), 10r(several times), 75 (FTP), 5r(same as 10r), 20r, 50r. i took those shots and i dont regret them one bit.

didnt mean to hijack too much, just letting you know that you arent the only one.

~Rich

edit: also, never had a backer(s) but i am accepting applications for backers [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I might consider a penis on the back for the right deal, doubtful though.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i do have a steady stake for the million though, so how about this: if i win i'll pay one of you responsible chaps to hold my roll for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I will. Boom. Done.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 AM

Sounds like if you stick to tournaments you'll make a nice steady flow of $$$. Don't take shots at 2/4 and you are set! glgl
Old 12-19-2006, 04:11 AM

Taking shots that are kinda within your bankroll (say $100 FOs with a 4k bankroll) is ok, taking shots that are way outside (100r on a 4k bankroll) is just pure stupid, especially if the fields are large. Please don't do this Bakes, and gl on your BR management skills. I truly believe a lot of good players shoot themselves in the foot with this (as well as field selection).
Old 12-19-2006, 07:32 AM

GL, brah. On a degree of diff, I've found BR management to be more difficult than triple-barrelling bottom pair.

Be [censored] good at it, man.