Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 06:28 PM

Default Stud High-Hand in the Cookie Jar

Well I'm trying to rep the flush here obviously against an unknown player (first mistake). Should I just bail when he raises? If I have what i'm repping he can't be ahead.

Continue on the river or bail?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $1, Bring-In $1.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.30 SB)

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.65 BB)

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls

6th Street - (8.65 BB)

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (10.65 BB)

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]_____
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[b]
Old 11-30-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Stud High-Hand in the Cookie Jar

I hate this hand so much (the hand, not you. I love you.) I think you really need to chuck it on 5th after he re-raises. What we you trying to represent on 4th when you caught a 6? a 4 flush? If you want to set up a steal, the time to do it was on 3rd. Aces are dead, queens are dead. He is showing 2 clubs, etc. I don't think 7th street matters all that much. Bet if you think he will fold one in ten times, check if not. I can't see him folding here, so I probably check.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:52 PM

IMO, you probably shoulda folded on 3rd. There are 2 other Q's, 2 diamonds, one 7 & one 8 gone that could potentially help your hand. If you're going to play this hand, come in raising.

Your bluff didn't work, obviously, so I'd check/fold on 6th. I'd figure him for trips or 2 pair & is trying to fill up against your "flush". I would not think he would rep a small straight on 5th since his board & seat 6's board are so similar.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, you probably shoulda folded on 3rd. There are 2 other Q's, 2 diamonds, one 7 & one 8 gone that could potentially help your hand. If you're going to play this hand, come in raising.

Your bluff didn't work, obviously, so I'd check/fold on 6th. I'd figure him for trips or 2 pair & is trying to fill up against your "flush". I would not think he would rep a small straight on 5th since his board & seat 6's board are so similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think CG is correct that I should just fold to the raise on 5th and you may be even more correct that I shouldnt have played at all. If i reraise 5th though as I did trying to make a play at it, I dont think I can check 6th, otherwise the extra $10 on 5th was for naught.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:17 PM

I think I like a complete on third. This guy seems like an idiot so I have no idea if he ever folds a better hand here or not
Old 12-01-2006, 12:22 AM

I think the hand is definitely playable on 3rd. Whether to raise or fold may depend on the players involved. When you get raised on 5th, it just doesn't seem worth bluffing in a limit game. 5.65 big bets in the pot, costs you two to bluff, so it would have to succeed more than 25% of the time right? And if you get called, as you explained, it's probably worth firing one more, which means really it needs to succeed more than one in three? Obviously you can also hit your gutshot and win a big pot, but the bluff just looks thin. On the other hand you are getting 5.65-1, of if you think your opponent will fold if you hit one more club, you can call and hope to win by catching a K or a club, which is like 12 out 38 cards left.

The problem is that his raise of you shows real strength, because in addition to catching a 3-flush you caught an ace. He had to have trips here probably, and he probably won't fold them.