Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Ask a College Basketball Coach

[ QUOTE ]
Casper,

What are your teams staple plays on offense? Do you call any plays? What % of the time is a play called on offense?

[/ QUOTE ]Good questions- we run a motion offense that is guard heavy, but most of our sets focus on getting the ball inside.

The HC calls the plays- all of us make suggestions sometimes.

I would say a set play is called ~30% of the time...that might be off, I havent ever thought to keep track...I'll have a manager do that one game.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:22 AM

caught up! sorry, Ive been busy...first practice in 18 hours!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:19 PM

What kind of adjustments do you make at halftime? I've read somewhere that adjustments at halftime in an NFL game are relatively minor, but what about at your level of basketball?

What type of scouting do you do of opponents? Since you coach for a mid-major (nothing wrong with that, my favorite team is a mid-major), I'd guess that many of your opponents aren't on TV very often. So how do you scout them?

Have you read the behind the scenes book about the Phoenix Suns? Is it an accurate portrayal of the roles of the coaches (in your experience)?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:50 PM

if you can answer this question honestly, are you more happy when you win a big game (rivalry,upset etc.) or when you find out a student is doing great in school?

could you estimate the % of the time your offense runs set plays
Old 10-13-2007, 11:40 PM

Awesome thread, thank you for posting this. I wish you could go into more detail, but I understand you have to be careful?

Would you get in trouble for this if the head coach found out? A football player I knew said they weren't allowed to post on message boards. Is this a NCAA rule or team rule?
Old 10-14-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
could you estimate the % of the time your offense runs set plays

[/ QUOTE ]He answered this 3 posts ago (about 30%).
Old 10-14-2007, 02:58 PM

Have you ever had a kid walk on? Do you know if it's more common at division III?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of adjustments do you make at halftime? I've read somewhere that adjustments at halftime in an NFL game are relatively minor, but what about at your level of basketball?

[/ QUOTE ]we'll adjust our defense if they are exploiting something. We'll adjust our offense more than anything to counter their defensive gameplan...IE if they are switching screens a bunch we will begin to back-cut/slip/curl more than pop out...things like that.

[ QUOTE ]
What type of scouting do you do of opponents? Since you coach for a mid-major (nothing wrong with that, my favorite team is a mid-major), I'd guess that many of your opponents aren't on TV very often. So how do you scout them?

[/ QUOTE ]we videotape all of our games both for our use and to exchange them with other teams. If we are playing LSU, we will contact other teams that are playing them before we do and get their tapes. We try to have 6 tapes of each team...4 being the minimum.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you read the behind the scenes book about the Phoenix Suns? Is it an accurate portrayal of the roles of the coaches (in your experience)?

[/ QUOTE ]I havent read it, but its now on my list!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you can answer this question honestly, are you more happy when you win a big game (rivalry,upset etc.) or when you find out a student is doing great in school?

[/ QUOTE ] We are definitely more excited when we win a big game than when a player is doing good in school. However, we are probably more pissed off when we find out a player is failing then after a big loss.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you get in trouble for this if the head coach found out? A football player I knew said they weren't allowed to post on message boards. Is this a NCAA rule or team rule?

[/ QUOTE ] He wouldnt care. Its against NCAA rules to post on college sports forums...like rivals.com or scout.com, and we cant talk about any prospective athlete (even a 6th grader)