Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Going all in on a flush draw.

A few months ago i read a post by Tien who said he was a winning 400nl player who was walking away from poker and wanted to give something back to 2+2 before quitting . The post was called 6max fundementals and the post massively improved my game at 50nl 6max to the extent that im in profit since reading the post. Anyway one point he made was to play flush draws hard and fast and be prepared to get all the money in the middle with the nut flush draw. Iv been following this advice and whilst i agree betting flush draws aggressivley is profitable im not sure about getting a 100bb stack all in on the flop against a similar stack. I wont put all my money in on a paired board as i could be drawing dead but any other time i will, even knowing that im against a set or tptk. What do others think about this practice as i get berated by players when i stack them on the river by pushing with my draw.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Going all in on a flush draw.

Tien's post applies to combo draws. He also seems to say you should play OESD and flush draws this way.

"Here is an example of properly playing a combo draw. Same goes with open ended straight and flush draws. Play these hands strong and very fast. There is a ton of fold equity as well as getting money in being a 50/50 if they do decide to take their hand to the felt with you."

But I am not sure if he is referring to 9 out flush draws and 8 out OESD, or just combo ST+FL draws, since with only 8 or 9 outs, it is not good to get all in on the flop unless you have a ton of fold equity.

With 13 outs you have almost 50% equity on the flop, with 14 or more outs, you have >50%, so you don't mind getting all in with those hands, since the money already in the pot will make it +EV. That, plus the fold equity you have picking up a nice size pot coming over the top make it very profitable (much more so than calling with a combo draw since you lose the fold equity)

With only 9 outs, you only have 35% equity, so getting all your money in is not +EV unless you have a ton of fold equity, or unless there already a lot of dead money in the pot.

If someone berates you when you win, you can always berate them for going bust with 1 pair.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Going all in on a flush draw.

I have a question about the 13 outs situation. In most cases when you have close to 13 outs, the only good ones are the straight + flush combinations. Because everything else that might give you 13 possible outs has reverse outs also for those types of hands? Such as having middle or top pair with the flush combination (if you play mid SC's it seems like you'd be up against something better)