Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Cheating in sports

Why not take them?

I mean, it's a logical conclusion that he wouldn't be making 16 million dollars this year if he wasn't.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:33 PM

Why not take them? The negative publicity alone is enough to warrant not bothering with juicing yourself up. In interviews, he's completely negative about it and even at one point said he was "not proud" to be a baseball player, because of "what the game has turned out to be." Come on, am I supposed to believe Bonds is the victim here for having to take steroids to "keep up"? That's ridiculous.

You honestly think he couldn't get more than a few million to play on any team, just so that team could get extra sales from him breaking the record with that organization? His salary is the worst way to approach the subject, in my opinion.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the players want to shorten their lives. They want a rule against it so they don't have to shorten their lives for a competitive edge.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-12-2007, 04:35 PM

g-bebe,

Tony Gwynn much?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:38 PM

g-bebe,

Do you think that only the names mentioned in the steroid scandals are tainted or that this era has a black cloud around it?

I ask this question for an important reason. One, you don't know who is taking them. It isn't just the huge players of the league, there are tons that have been caught that you scratch your head and think, "man, his batch must of have not worked!" There are also muscular players that aren't on steroids just as there are players that don't appear to be on them that are.

You mentioned A-Rod. Why do you think he hasn't taken them? You can't know this for sure. I am not accusing, I am simply saying that with the steroid era nothing is certain.

So when you say "why take them"? Well, maybe in Barry's mind he is thinking this, "If I take them I can keep up with the other stars, if I don't take them then I will be lumped with them anyway."
Old 04-12-2007, 04:40 PM

tdarko,

Or someone like Cal Ripken... Who career almost mirrors someone who take roids in small doses to help recovery ability and athletic performance without building muscle. ZOMG I said it.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:50 PM

Thremp,

Noooooooooooo, not Cal. Say it ain't so Cal!

...maybe Billy should have been looking through Cal's locker [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2007, 04:51 PM

tdarko,

I know where you're coming from. And I obviously know that where I'm coming from has a lot of loopholes in terms of accusations and what is fact and what is just heresay.

I mentioned A-Rod in pass as just another superstar, one of the best in the game, who's never really been questioned about his use in steroids (not that I know of). I'm not saying he doesn't take them, but there's got to be a reason why someone like him isn't at all under the spotlight, even though he's got tremendous power and can hit with the best of them, whereas Bonds is. I may not know it, but that's just the way I see it.

I udnerstand too that there are lots of playres who aren't in the spotlight who do take them. I don't know the exact story with him, but I think it was Jason Grimsley of the AZ D-Backs who was involved with drugs? I could be wrong, it might not have been steroids or anything, but I'm just recognizing your point that there are less prolific players that do take them.

As for saying "why take them?", to me it's like a kid who has money to pay for candy watches his friend steal the same candy he's about to buy, because his friend doesn't have money. And then the kid thinks "well why should I pay for the candy if he didn't?" That's what it seems to me, and that's what seems wrong to me.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:53 PM

g-bebe,

[ QUOTE ]
I mentioned A-Rod in pass as just another superstar, one of the best in the game, who's never really been questioned about his use in steroids (not that I know of). I'm not saying he doesn't take them, but there's got to be a reason why someone like him isn't at all under the spotlight, even though he's got tremendous power and can hit with the best of them, whereas Bonds is. I may not know it, but that's just the way I see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I "tend" to think as well. Then there are those time you are burned by players' names that never came up and weren't suspecting either that force you to say that there isn't a 0.0% chance.

The sad thing is that most people are stupid and they think, "big guy that hits hr's must take steroids," and there's lumping right there. A-rod might not be under investigation but I assure you there are plenty of people that don't trust him simply b/c of the steroid era which is sad b/c innocent players can't actually prove they are innocent...how horrible is that?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 PM

All,

There is a little tentative information about masking/flushing agents. Either way, if anyone is gonna use it. Its a professional athlete. So you could start seeing guys gaining 20 lbs of lean mass in an offseason, getting tested all the time and passing cleanly. If the process gets refined it'd be scary to see how tests become useless.