Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 02:58 AM

Default Turn a straight flush. Need more value.

Pretty new to poker. But this hand really confused me tonight. I didn't get much value at all out of it, and wondering what I should have done on the turn, and river.

Thanks.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1603826
Old 10-19-2007, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Turn a straight flush. Need more value.

First off, you'll get more replies if you use a hand converter and include the hand within the post. One, people don't like to visit another site to view the hand, and two, the site you used does not total the pot on each street.

You made a monster, but none of your opponents have much of anything. It's unfortunate, but it happens some times. Generally, you'll get more action if an A or K comes as that is more likely to pair someone's hole card.

In any case, the board is pretty scary by the turn with the straight and flush possibilities. I'd bet around 1/2 the pot and hope to get called by a draw or top pair.

On the river, once the 8 comes, might as well push and hope to get called by a 9, T9, or two diamonds. The fact that no one bet the river means there is a good chance that no one even has a straight, in which case even a small bet won't get called.

In general, it's better to make a big bet (say $1000) and get called only 30% than make a tiny bet (say $200) and get called 100% of the time. This is especially true when betting the river (the river is only a value-betting street since there are no more cards to come that will improve either hand).
Old 10-19-2007, 06:18 AM

Yeah sorry. I tried a bunch of converters, and none worked for me.

Thanks though. I definitly should have bet bigger on the river I guess. Nobody was showing any interest in the hand so I made the mistake to make a small bet, and hopefully get a couple callers.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:24 AM

as said - you have to bet the turn, cause your opponents - specially with this board can improve - with 4 opponents i'd make it 1/2 - 2/3 potsize.

on the river nobody seems to have hit the straight so i don't think you will get much more money in the pot. in these spots i usually push - which will be seen as a steal, and i only need to get called few times to make it worth the play.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:42 AM

First, I think it's perfectly OK to link to a hand at pokerorg.com. Much better than posting unreadable raw hand histories in the post.

I probably fold 43s with only one limper in front and players left to act, though if players behind is loose-passive I'm calling to induce a multi-way pot. On turn and river I'd bet like levAA suggested. Any player with a flush draw and straight draw will probably follow.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First, I think it's perfectly OK to link to a hand at pokerorg.com. Much better than posting unreadable raw hand histories in the post.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 10-19-2007, 07:42 AM

Thanks a lot guys.

Turned out the guy with a hand was just a super nit, which is why I didn't get any value. But wanted to know for the next time something like this came up to get more.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:13 PM

I didn't realize you tried the converters and none of them worked. What poker site did you play this hand on? I don't know if anyone is actively working on the converters and might be able to add support for this site.

As everyone above said, it is probably better to link to pokerhand.org than post a raw hand history.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:22 PM

I'd fold preflop in this situaion.

Failing that though call the flop. Bet 1/3rd to 2/3rds pot on the turn and then push the river. Although in this situation your not likely to get much value.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't realize you tried the converters and none of them worked. What poker site did you play this hand on? I don't know if anyone is actively working on the converters and might be able to add support for this site.

As everyone above said, it is probably better to link to pokerhand.org than post a raw hand history.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. It was on Absolute Poker.

You guys will never believe what the one guy held. Well I checked the turn stupidly. Now I know how much to bet. Bet small on the river to hopeufully get something after it was checked around to me. The hand is weird, but atleast I know for the future when I get a monster with not much action.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1603351