Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Live 5/10 AA hand, Foxwoods

I'm pretty much a 2/5 NL live player at Foxwoods. I'm rolled fine for it but recently had a nice up swing so I figured I would take a shot at the 5/10. I don't play as my job, but it's a nice little padding to buy stuff on the side. So I go and sit for my first time at this level. On to the game..

The table seems to have some very good players, this is the first time playing at these stakes. I see some crazy re-raise action with draws and it looks like a few plays have a lot of gamble in them, while others portraying that image are pretty tight. I've bought in for $1500 and have $1200 in front of me and this happens:

I'm in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] player to my left just had a huge hand cracked by a draw and is on tilt. He raises to $40 there are a few callers, and I call.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Yep, I flopped the wheel with the backdoor flush. I check, he bets $50, folds around I make it $200 to go. He insta calls.

Turn: X offsuit, I start to count some chips out and I'm pretty sure he's going to call a lot. I bet out $800 leaving me with less then $200 behind, he insta calls.

River: A offsuit, I bet the rest ($180?) and he insta folds. I flip over my A and say, "Wow, got lucky with my AK."

I was taking a long time so I think people were watching. Now onto the hand I'm sketchy about and would like some advice on:

I start the hand with $2600 and villian has $1700. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG+1. I limp, there are a few callers and a black fellow raises to $35, I've seen him get in a few big pots but nothing out of control hower he has played a lot of hands, it folds back to me and I make it $200 to go. All fold to villian and he calls.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet out $200 hoping he has an over pair/the J and will raise me back. He makes it $500 to go. Now I fail to pull the trigger and lose my grip, I ask what does he have left and he says, "$1040" and I just flat call it.

Turn: X [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I check hoping he'll bet at it to protect whatever hand he has, and he instantly shoves $1040. So I call with my A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], even if I'm wrong I've got the nut draw.

I THINK I played it OK. I felt like I was ahead, he did call my raise, it could be JJ or a set but it seems a little fast played for that, but perhaps that is how this level of poker is? Or I thought more likely QQ, KK, with the heart? or even JQ, JK, AJ, with the heart. It certainly didn't feel like a flush.

Any comments apprecaited for either hand. I would have hidden the results of the first hand but I think it may apply to how this other played played vs me. I'll put results in white below.

<font color="white"> He flopped a set of 5s and I didn't draw out. Should I have been able to dump on the flop? After writing this all out I think I played it fine, but I'm so new to this level I'd like some feedback from you guys.</font>
Old 10-03-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Live 5/10 AA hand, Foxwoods

shove flop, shove turn. otherwise played fine. I only play 2/5 at fw tho [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2007, 04:41 PM

I'm betting bigger on the flop and I am almost always going to 3bet. I don't like the call much, especially holding Ah.. just get it in.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 PM

Shove flop.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:16 PM

Limp-reraising with 200BB stacks really, really sucks IMO.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limp-reraising with 200BB stacks really, really sucks IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm just not sure what else to do here. I was thinking if I just beat out 5bb or so I'd have no idea where I was if I get called. Although I can see limp raising so big really gave my hand away. Although the way I played it, I didn't really know where I was either, ug.

Thanks for the responses thus far guys, it's interesting to see.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:16 PM

Sniperd,

A few things.....

1) What would you have done on a non heart turn?
2) Are you stacking off with this hand always?
3) Is villain in first hand the same as in the second?
4) Why did you bet less then a 1/2 PSB on the flop?
5) Are you trapping here or afraid of being trapped?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:35 AM

If you're not comfortable playing aces in this game, you probably shouldn't be in it. How would you play it at 2/5? Surely limp-reraise isn't your standard 100% of the time play.. Open it up to 50 or 60 or whatever is standard at the table and play good solid postflop poker. Limp-reraising sucks because it narrows your range such that any decent opponent will play perfect against you postflop, and there's too much money behind to give such an enormous edge up.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:43 AM

I think a big limp-reraise is fine if effective stacks are 200xBB. Sure, it gives away your hand to most people, but you are really just looking for one clueless guy to either not believe you have a big hand or to be sure you have a big hand and want to "crack" you with a small pair or suited connector. There is usually that one clueless guy at every 5/10 NL table.

The guy's raise to 500 on the flop actually scares me a little. If I had played with someone a ton and had an extremely good sense of the bet amount they use, I could actually fold there (VERY rarely). But given what you know, I say shove the flop. It seems like the chances of him committing his chips won't change that much from the flop to the turn, so might as well get the money in earlier.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 AM

His range is a set, made flush, and straight draw. The part of his range you are beating are his straight draws. I think they make up a smaller % of his range. I fold, he probably has a flush or set, and even with pot odds, I think you see a flush or set so much here, it is a losing call.