Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Ask Cancuk about backpacking/independant travel.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
through central and South America

[/ QUOTE ] How did you cross between the two?

[/ QUOTE ]

Flew from Panama city - Quito... i was young then. I would love to trek through the Darrien Gap, although i've heard it's pretty dangerous. I know there are boats from Panama to Cartegana, Colombia (which is supposed to be an awesome city).
Old 07-18-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would love to answer any and all questions about this kind of travel, or any of the places that i've been (country list below)...

Canada, USA, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Holland, Belgium, France (Paris only), Germany, Czeh Republic (Prague only), Greece, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, China, Hong Kong, Tibet, Nepal, India, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, awesome list.

I am particularly interested in Honduras. Did you ever feel 'threatened' there? A couple of travellers told me it isn't the safest place to visit.

Also, did you visit the Bay Islands there? I hear they are spectacular.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:47 PM

Have you ever backpacked alone or in rural Canada or the United States?
Old 07-18-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever backpacked alone in rural Canada or the United States?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fixed my post [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].
Old 07-18-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would love to answer any and all questions about this kind of travel, or any of the places that i've been (country list below)...

Canada, USA, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Holland, Belgium, France (Paris only), Germany, Czeh Republic (Prague only), Greece, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, China, Hong Kong, Tibet, Nepal, India, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, awesome list.

I am particularly interested in Honduras. Did you ever feel 'threatened' there? A couple of travellers told me it isn't the safest place to visit.

Also, did you visit the Bay Islands there? I hear they are spectacular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Outside of a select few countries, most of the countries south of Canada aren't the safest place. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

We didn't have any trouble in Honduras, but I have also heard some less than plearsurable stories.... yes, we spent most of our time in the Bay Islands (Roatan mostly). Unblieavably beautiful... best snorkling i've ever experianced (I have terrible ears = can't dive).... also the cheapest place in the world to eat lobster (supposedly). Delicious.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever backpacked alone or in rural Canada or the United States?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never actually "backpacked" across either Canada or the states. I have done camping roadtrips across both though. Vancouver - Florida and back. and Toronto - Vancouver. Also in the summer so we always camped, no hostels.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:13 PM

Ok, well than let me rephrase my question so we can talk about what I'm really getting at.
Have you ever been backpacking (alone or in a very small group) in a rural area and had to contend with big, unleashed, aggressive dogs? If so, how did you deal?
I ask because I would like to do some rural area hiking, and this seems like the biggest threat.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, well than let me rephrase my question so we can talk about what I'm really getting at.
Have you ever been backpacking (alone or in a very small group) in a rural area and had to contend with big, unleashed, aggressive dogs? If so, how did you deal?
I ask because I would like to do some rural area hiking, and this seems like the biggest threat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have defintiley dealt with some very aggressive dogs, although not in Canada or the states... lots in South America.... are aggressive dogs really that big of an issue in Norht America? I haven't done that much hiking up here, but it seems like bears and other, larger wildlife are much more of an issue than dogs.

But, just don't look at the dogs in the eyes and carry a stick with you. If it's just one dog it's usually easier to deal with than a group. And don't show fear.

I'm not really an expert on dog attacks though.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 PM

Well, in Canada lots of rednecks let their big dogs run around... The dog sees you on the highway and basically assumes that you're on its territory and comes at you. I've always had plenty of warning (like the dog was a more than half a football field away when it saw or smelled me and got aggressive) so I've been able to just walk away unscathed. Of course the time will come when I have to go toe-to-toe.
So you are really saying just a big stick will do the trick? What do you do? Swing it and yell? Just kind of brandish it and remain calm? Actually bludgeon the dog? I was thinking about carrying spray dog repellant. This could come in handy for the dogs owners too. In a way I'm not even joking about that last part, sadly.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, in Canada lots of rednecks let their big dogs run around... The dog sees you on the highway and basically assumes that you're on its territory and comes at you. I've always had plenty of warning (like the dog was a more than half a football field away when it saw or smelled me and got aggressive) so I've been able to just walk away unscathed. Of course the time will come when I have to go toe-to-toe.
So you are really saying just a big stick will do the trick? What do you do? Swing it and yell? Just kind of brandish it and remain calm? Actually bludgeon the dog? I was thinking about carrying spray dog repellant. This could come in handy for the dogs owners too. In a way I'm not even joking about that last part, sadly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you're really worried about dogs, eh? From your first post I wasn't sure if you were just [censored] with me...

Um... I think you're definitley worrying about this way to much... but since you are worrying about it, I guess dog spray would work... I think smashing the dog in the side of the head with a stick would work to. If he's just barking at you and staring at you, don't get aggressive. But if you think the little bastard is about to attack, I would start yelling and throwing [censored] at it and if it came close, smashing it as hard as I could. Get your shots as well.

But, again, I really don't think it's as big as a problem as you're making it out to be.