Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Wife offers deal

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, marriage sounds awful after reading this thread. So complicated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes to the awful part. Never do it.

Sincerely,
thankful to be divorced

PS. Its not as bad as it sounds. You just have to be able to be completely open up front and come up with something that works for both of you. It doesn't matter how convoluted the setup is as long as you both understand and completely buy-in to it. DON'T SETTLE. Don't convince yourself that you'll figure it out later. if you can't come up with something workable when you're still madly in love, it'll turn to disaster once the luster wears off [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I thought I was whipped, this makes me feel better.

Also, for anyone who's married, I'd advise using 3 checking accounts, a joint one for bills and such, and separate accounts for each of you for your own stuff. It's not so much that you have your "own" money, or that you're trying to hide purchases you make, it's just that a lot of trouble can be avoided if you aren't pouring over every little purchase that the other person makes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a wonderful way to avoid confrontation, stunt your trust development in each other and avoid growing stronger as a couple. Good luck with all that. If you're not comfortable talking to her about something you're doing, then you probably shouldn't be doing it.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I thought I was whipped, this makes me feel better.

Also, for anyone who's married, I'd advise using 3 checking accounts, a joint one for bills and such, and separate accounts for each of you for your own stuff. It's not so much that you have your "own" money, or that you're trying to hide purchases you make, it's just that a lot of trouble can be avoided if you aren't pouring over every little purchase that the other person makes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a wonderful way to avoid confrontation, stunt your trust development in each other and avoid growing stronger as a couple. Good luck with all that. If you're not comfortable talking to her about something you're doing, then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

what? i don't do this to keep things secret. but why have to iron out details on how much money goes to golf/poker/etc? Also, if I want to go to a guy's trip to Tunica, I can save a couple hundo a month from my account, rather than showing up needing 1k to do it.

My wife and I put our full checks into our 'middle' account, and each withdraw an equal 'allowance' each month to spend/save as we see fit. We dated 7 years, and have been married almost 4, and have NEVER had one single money fight. We have NEVER missed a bill, NEVER come up short in a month, etc.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That being said, my bankroll management sucks and I'm sometimes stuck playing the $40 and $50 tournys as opposed to the $150 and $250's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank goodness she's there to stake you $1k so that you can adequately afford those $150-$250 tourneys.
No ROR there!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think MicroBob makes a good point with the 1k enabling me to consistantly play the bigger tournys and I forgot who said learning to manage better my own bankroll is best, but they're right.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-03-2007, 02:49 AM

Did he really think I was advocating playing the $250's on a $1k bankroll?
Old 11-03-2007, 03:24 AM

just tell her you always lose and then keep the monies
Old 11-03-2007, 08:46 AM

Here is how I do it.
My wife has a bank acount and I have one. I let her pay 30% of the bills and I pay the rest. The rest of the money she has left over is hers to spend. When we want to make a big purchase such as a vacation we just chip in our money and buy it. I invest some money and have her as a joint owner on these acconts. We have each other as joint account members on our individual accounts in case of emergency.
When I want to play poker I take money and play poker and if I have a big win I buy my wife something nice. I like to keep it simple. It is unbelievable that the poster would let his wife dictate like this to him when he is the main supporter of the household. The problem is now he allowed this to happen he needs to change it and she will be pissed off. So let her be pissed and if you end up divorced just make sure you don't let it happen again with the next one
Old 11-03-2007, 08:55 AM

Don't sign anything before discussing it with your lawyer.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:09 AM

this thread makes me go insane
Old 11-03-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread makes me go insane

[/ QUOTE ]

it's almost as creepy as the "brag: my wife is dead" thread. i feel sorry for all of you married guys. its really starting to seem like game over whenever you get married.