Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: to oot\'s married people

Got married at age 20, am now 22 and am enjoying it very much. It hasn't been easy, but the good times have completely outweighed the bad.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think some people in this thread are taking the term 'the one' a bit too literal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely not. "The one" is a pretty clear term. And even if someone thinks of it less rigidly than is traditional, we'd be much better off getting away from this phrase because of the ridiculous connotations it carries.

It's absurd to think that there's "one person out there for each of us." And I'm a romantic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

I think there's too much of an expectation that there can't be doubt or questioning along the way, that certainty is the only true mark of love. (EDIT: I'm not married yet, but will be in a few months to a woman that I will have been with for damn close to 10 years, and I'm pretty optimistic about it.)
Old 10-22-2007, 01:49 PM

The idea of "the one" or soulmates is dumb. But I think people can have happy marriages.

I was in one terrible, awful marriage and I'm in a really good one right now. My 2nd marriage is only 2 years old, but we have a definite sense of being a "team," us against the world, etc.

But if you have a hard time with concepts like "compromise" and "sacrifice," then you should be very careful before getting married.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:52 PM

I've been married for 16 years. I have no idea if my wife is "the One" or if I would have been happier single or with someone else.

I just know that I am happy with where I am today. Looking back, sure there are things that I would change, but life is way too short to store up a bunch of regrets.

My life these days revolves around my kids. They keep me young and have become very interesting people in their own right. I recently introduced my 14 year to "More Cowbell" and Rick Rolling. She loved them.

Would it be fun to be a moderately atrractive 40 year old with enough game to chase hot 20-somethings around? Stuff like that is fun to think about, but in reality, I'll take my current life with the wife and kids and leave the skirt chasing to you studs.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:32 PM

been married two years, very happy so far and easily one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm also glad we waited until we both were really ready (dated for 6 years). when I was younger I thought I wouldn't want to get married etc, but like mike tyson said, everyone's got a plan until they get hit.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be fun to be a moderately atrractive 40 year old with enough game to chase hot 20-somethings around? Stuff like that is fun to think about, but in reality, I'll take my current life with the wife and kids and leave the skirt chasing to you studs.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm good friends with a 46 year old recently divorced guy. Very successful and has no trouble landing the mid twenties woman. Like most relationships of this type, they're all fun and games until the twenty year difference pops up in various ways then he's just as miserable a before. And the blue pills, even from Canada, are expensive.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:27 PM

i've been married for 17 years. you get less for murder
Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 PM

married for 10 days now, pretty good so far [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Married eight years, and yes to all. It can happen, but it isn't guaranteed.

FWIW, I met "the one" really early and got married relatively young. I do wish I had spent more time playing the field, sowing wild oats, hooking up w/ random sloots, etc.

But things happen when they happen. And I wouldn't trade where I am right now for anything in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically exactly my situation. I met a girl my second year of college, fell in love, and we got married when I was 24 and she was 22.

Our 7-year wedding anniversary is this week, and we are still very much in love, best friends, have two wonderful sons, and are a good fit.

We'll BOTH admit, though, that we sometimes wish we wouldn't have met so early, gotten a chance to travel, play the field, etc., a bit more.

But we're also fine with the choices we've made, and we make a very good team.

As for the 'wild oats' thing, hey, nothing a trip to Vegas each year can't fix [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm good friends with a 46 year old recently divorced guy. Very successful and has no trouble landing the mid twenties woman. Like most relationships of this type, they're all fun and games until the twenty year difference pops up in various ways then he's just as miserable a before. And the blue pills, even from Canada, are expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 48, happily married, with 2 great kids. The problem with the scenario you paint is that I can't imagine many 48 year olds having much in common with a mid-twenties woman. I am not saying that the 48 year old might be so immature, or the mid-twenties so mature that they couldn't find common ground. I'm sure it happens from time to time, it's just that as a 48 year old I can't imagine being interested in what a 25 year old would be interested in. I'm not saying what they are interested in is bad, only that I've been there and done that, enjoyed it, but moved on.

NCAces