Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Learning the tourney thing please help

This probably pretty simple but I just want to be sure.

11 buy in 6 max tourney. 500 to start about 170 left, 84 cash. I recently got a big stack all in preflop AA v AK. VIllain is typical player, raising to 500 always preflop at this level, he isn't particualry loose or tight pre.

So whats the flop play?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB (t13510)
BB (t2065)
UTG (t6125)
MP (t9720)
CO (t4280)
Hero (t10269)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t500</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2000</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls t1500.

Flop: (t4225) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">

HERO???????
Old 07-01-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Learning the tourney thing please help

i'd bet 3k and hope he folds but if he doesnt you have plenty of outs. I guess you could just shove here too considering your stack size. I prob would have shoved over the top preflop though
Old 07-01-2007, 01:19 AM

It would help to know what your table image is here. but I would bet 3-3.5K hoping to get a fold. If you get check raised, you're obviously done with it. Some would say to check behind, but then you're just asking the villian to push on the turn. I'm OK with pre-flop raise...
Old 07-01-2007, 01:28 AM

TAGy image,
Old 07-01-2007, 05:58 AM

Villain has only 4000 left so if we bet and he moves allin we cant fold. To avoid this situation, I would raise to 3000 so that villain certainly knows we are potcommitted, that makes things a lot easier. The information we have is that villain called our reraise (one third of his stack), so I guess that we see AA or KK here a lot. Smaller pocketpairs from 99 our AK probably would have folded preflop or moved allin. He is going to call with QQ, JJ, 99, AA, KK (blocks a few of your outs), you beat probably only TT. I have no pokerstove at hand but I guess you are in real trouble v.s. his range, so check behind and if you do not pick up a K, A or something like the queen of clubs just fold to his allin.

By the way I would have called this preflop, AK in position is a very playable hand and we dont want to fold out AJ or AQ.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:32 PM

how can you not bet 3 bet preflop aith AK here?

Really?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:37 PM

I would have just called his raise PF. I dont like committing a ton of chips to an ace high hand. As played, I would make about a 2500 bet and hope he folds. If he calls or raises you are in trouble.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:54 PM

I don't like your re-raise size. You really need to anticipate better. Villain called, you whiffed the flop, villain checked. This is a very standard progression after your raise and yet you're in a ZOMG WHAT DO I DO NOW!? kind of situation. You should see that coming before you raise and make your raise a little smaller, like 1500. If he has 3800 chips PF, then 1500 would be bad and 2000 would be good. Hopefully you understand why.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have just called his raise PF. I dont like committing a ton of chips to an ace high hand. As played, I would make about a 2500 bet and hope he folds. If he calls or raises you are in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that you ALWAYS have to 3-bet here, but not doing it as your standard play is a really weak-tight strategy and a big leak IMO.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your re-raise size. You really need to anticipate better. Villain called, you whiffed the flop, villain checked. This is a very standard progression after your raise and yet you're in a ZOMG WHAT DO I DO NOW!? kind of situation. You should see that coming before you raise and make your raise a little smaller, like 1500. If he has 3800 chips PF, then 1500 would be bad and 2000 would be good. Hopefully you understand why.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you are saying, but like here it is a tough spot regardless. If you go to 1500 what do you bet on this flop? Like 2k? Well that still means you have to call his push. I still think 1500 is better because he will probably call with a wider range than 2000, but I think by the time you reach the flop you have to play for all his chips unless you just called preflop (which I think is worse than reraising).

Also, I don't understand why 1500 would be better than 2000 if he 3800. Wouldn't he be committed either way?