Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 11:58 AM

Default KQs, reraised by button

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $9.85
BB: $17.65
UTG: $15.40
MP: $10.15
Hero (CO): $8.70
BTN: $4.85

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $1.00</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.60

Flop: ($2.15) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $0.50</font>, Hero calls $0.50

Turn: ($3.15) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $0.90</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $7.20</font>, BTN calls all-in for $2.45
Uncalled bet of $3.85 returned to Hero

River: ($9.85) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $9.85 ($0.45 Rake)

BTN had A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (a straight, Ten to Ace) and WON (+$4.55)
Hero had Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a pair of Queens) and LOST (-$4.85)

Button was an ultra-LAG that kept reraising me in position. I considered folding preflop but thought I'd be in good shape against his range. How should I have played this hand?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: KQs, reraised by button

PF Raise/call is fine. I do not like a reraise here, so your call is good.

Flop: His bet is tiny. I consider raising here. You have TPGK.

Turn: This is a great card. I love the check-raise all in, although it does telegraph your draw.

River: It turns out you only had 9 outs instead of 15+. You didn't get there this time, but I think this is +EV in the long run.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:27 PM

any stats/reads on villan? his RR preflop is small but hands like QK are pretty crap agianst a 3bet at this level given standard 3 bet range AQs+ TT+. c/c flop is ok I think since your not in grate shape aganst his range. I might lead turn and call/fold to a push depending on your odds which are pretty good to hit prob 30ish precent.

oh missed that villan was a shortie c/r turn sucks cause you have no FE just lead like 2 bucks and call a push. the fact that hes is short makes preflop less apealing though.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 PM

Fold this preflop once he 3bets you. Calling OOP here is bleeding money. It depends a bit on what kind of player he is/how light he is 3betting, and I get your ultra-LAG sentiment, however, as I said, out of position, this is a fold. I think shove-4betting here is actually better than calling, because if he's 3betting light, we might be ahead of his PF range as you said, and it would be a tough decision for him to call if he was 3betting you with something like 7s.

As played, his flop bet seems weak. He could be going for a b/3b line, but I think check-raising this flop is strong, and I don't see him continuing with tens/AK/air here. If he shoved over my CR, I'd happily get it in vrs. a shortstack.

Considering stacks, I'd probably just open-shove this turn. This way we still have some fold equity, and if not, then we got a bunch of outs. As played, when you CR, he has 2.45 left and the pot is giving him like 3:1 odds to call.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:34 PM

By calling this pre-flop with his short stack, you've committed to calling his all in on the flop if you hit top pair. Would have like to have seen a check raise on the flop, or a bet.

There's nothing you can do about that turn card. As played I have no problem w/ the turn play.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:48 PM

Please dont post results as they dont matter. Your discussion on this hand is and will be tainted.

Fold preflop if you dont want to stack off here with top pair. I like a CRAI on his flop bet since its a potsized raise to get him all in.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm okay with my call preflop, as he was shortstacked and I was getting nearly 3-1. No stats - I've yet to download pokertracker...
Old 09-25-2007, 01:17 PM

It really depends on what you mean by "ultra-LAG"... you saw him play a ton of hands, but was he playing a ton of hands that were raised pre-flop? And was he pushing people off their hands post-flop, or just trying to connect with flops and folding to resistance? If he's the kind of LAG-donk who only puts money in when it's his idea, then I like the flop check, but otherwise, ick. This is OUR flop against wide ranges, and check-call puts a ton of bad turns on the board.

Ultra-LAG rarely means "always three-betting on the button with any two", and if it does, then 4-betting isn't off the table. Making him pay with the worst hand is what we do now.

As played, he obviously always has AKo in this spot, your money went in after he hit his six-outer, and you will catch your flush 0% of the time. Just kidding... don't post results. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]