Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Folded Trip Js on the Turn, bad move?

Hi, I'm quite new here, and starting to get into poker seriously as a hobby now I'm in my 70s, so apologies if this isn't the right place for my post.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($49.35)
Hero ($31.60)
MP ($2.20)
Button ($51.50)
SB ($22.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
Hero calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $1.2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.95, MP calls $0.95, Button calls $0.70.

Flop: ($5.05) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4</font>, Hero calls $4, MP calls $1, Fold*****

Turn: ($31.65) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
TURN:SB bets $18.6, Hero folds.

River: ($31.65) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $31.65

I'm sure I played the hand terribly, but my main question is, would you have folded here? I put him on KK, which might be a little 'Jennifer Tilly' of me, but there we go!

Also, silly question: when you have the option of showing an uncalled hand, when should one do this? Occasionally to show a bluff, or that you did indeed have the winning hand? I'd imagine you show selected times to make one harder to read. Or is it the rule never to show when you don't have to? Thank you in advance, and again sorry if I come across as an old fool!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Folded Trip Js on the Turn, bad move?

I just posted a hand like this, and nearly everyone called me a total nit for not pushing. I would reraise this flop to about $15 and play very aggressively from there on out.

With preflop raises at 12xBB, I'm assuming there aren't many suited connectors in that bunch, and KK would have raised further preflop.

I think you're good here in 90% of cases.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 PM

Calling flop is death, never do that. Too many cards on turn could ruin you.

As for showing uncalled hands, usually it's not a good idea; it wastes time etc, but you can do it occasionaly if you want.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:34 PM

Raise PF in 6max 100%. Hand plays out much differently from there.

As played raise flop and get it in. Top set is fine against anything but a made flush, and your equity isn't trivial even then. Charge the hands that are drawing (lone Ad, etc...) and get value from everything else.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:34 PM

Don't limp preflop, raise with your JJ, 4 times the big blind.

You have a set, he could easily have like AK with a diamond here and think he has the best of it. or AA with the ace of diamonds, etc etc

You HAVE to raise the flop here and protect your hand against another diamond!!!

Generally unless another diamond comes on the turn, its time to go broke, if he has KK or flopped a flush then you just reload.

It's important to put players on a range of hands, and not just one specific hand that we are behind or ahead of

Showing is just free information, you may think that it makes you harder to read, but it doesnt. Bad habit to get into IMO.

Honestly your biggest problem is you seem to be playing with scared money, and giving you advice about this specific hand isn't going to solve that.

Goto the sticky and watch some of the videos there, just to get a feel for the proper way to play. And make sure you are playing stakes where the money doesn't mean anything to you too!!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:39 PM

welcome to 2+2, youre in the right place.

I would raise JJ preflop, which would have narrowed down your field, making your hand a winner more often.

On the flop, you must raise, attempt to get all the money in. You have the absolute best possible hand at this point, so why not raise?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:41 PM

Thank you much for all the advice. What does scared money mean? I'm fine bankroll wise at this level. I've played for a few years, but never studied much. Oh, and he had AA, by the way!
When Archon says never call the flop, does he mean a flop like the one I posted, or any flop? I feel like an old fool, but I'm trying hard to learn.
And these videos, could you show me a link?
Honestly, if I'm being a nuisance here, just let me know and I'll go back to just reading the great advice I find here!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 PM

Oh, and ''You have the absolute best possible hand at this point, so why not raise?''...surely the flush would have beaten me? I do find it tough to bet out when the board scares me like that!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:48 PM

Youre only "scared money" if you fear losing your buyin and it affects the way you play. You don't seem to fit the description.

When you just called on the flop, you allowed other players to improve their hands. You should protect your hand by raising, and forcing the other players to call unprofitably for their draws.

Archon means, when you have a strong hand like you had here, never just call on the flop.

Everyone needs help when they start to get serious about . Stick around, and dont be embarrassed to make a post!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:58 PM

Actually I meant that on draw heavy boards like these, you can't just call because your hand will be very vulnerable and many turn cards can force you to fold. You may as well transfer your money to them. But yea, that too. ;o

You might call with with this kind of hand if the board is really dry (badly connected, 3 diffrent suits) but I'm not a big fan of that either. At low limits like these, it's usually more profitable and a lot more simpler to bet when you have a big hand. Just what is a big hand? Well, just about anything that can beat AA really (two pair or better).