Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Heartland Poker Tour Upcoming Events & they\'re coming 2 Denver

Yeah. Hopefully they will learn from the experience. I'm guessing they are not used to running larger tourneys? I don't normally play there but I have been checking out their tourneys just to check the room out before the HPT. My impression is that they are generally bothered by tourneys and tourney players and would much rather just run cash games (to feed the rake, chomp, chomp.)

Some of the floor staff seem kind of irritated by the whole HPT thing and I am sure being harrassed by demanding tourney players about it constantly doesn't make their jobs any easier. Maybe things will go better once the HPT staff are around to help?

Hopefully tomorrow will go well. I am looking forward to it!
Old 10-07-2007, 01:04 AM

When we were up there yesterday, they were saying they had less than 20 seats left in the Sunday night qualifier.

I also wondered if perhaps there was a desire to keep things moving along and hyping, but there were so many people playing that I just don't believe it is true in this case.

The guy in the suit did say that they would likely be sold out for all qualifiers by tomorrow night.

Doesn't mean you won't be able to buy a ME seat off someone and still play - hopefully I will have an extra one or two to sell!
Old 10-07-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else down there today or plan on playing in the qualifier tomorrow? I think I might have seen CincyLady there today, but I'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, it wasn't me ... I was in Omaha today (went there last night to help my Mom out with something this morning) and just got back ... 16hrs round trip, not fun.

As for sit and goes, I tend to suck at those, unless they are heads up.

I'll be up there tomorrow night at 6:30pm ... snow? Gawd I hope not!

I moved here a year ago March from Ohio, and kept having ppl tell me how easy the winters were ... yeah right. The snow storm around Christmastime was a disaster, mostly because ppl here had gotten so complacent about the weather.

Anyone who wants to, should at the very least be able to buy a certificate for a qualifier from someone who has extra.

BTW, I do respect the room, but IMO, they are playing with fire right now, and I'm thinking they are going to oversell the seats.

This because all the advertised flyers promise that 20 percent of the field in the qualifiers will advance to the ME, and if they play 154 players for (each of) the Qualifiers, thats roughly 34 seats.

Yet, they are telling those with certs, that if they have 5 certs, they can use those to go directly into the ME.

It's going to get nasty if they sell more seats than they have, because if I remember correctly (and RR can correct me if I'm wrong), Colorado law does NOT allow for alternates to be inserted to the tourney once it's started, when another player is knocked out.

I think it's due to the fact that the first hand is limit, and after that all other hands are NL, and no player can be knocked out on their first hand, and lose their entire bet, without violating Colorado law.

I do find it encouraging though, that the Gates is pretty much saying they plan on having the HPT back.

RR, BTW, how's the action up at the Gilpin during all of this?
Old 10-07-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's due to the fact that the first hand is limit, and after that all other hands are NL, and no player can be knocked out on their first hand, and lose their entire bet, without violating Colorado law.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing the main event will not have any hands of limit. There is 1 hand of limit for every $120 in buy-in. I am thinking since there is no direct buy-in there will be no hands of limit.

[ QUOTE ]
It's going to get nasty if they sell more seats than they have, because if I remember correctly (and RR can correct me if I'm wrong), Colorado law does NOT allow for alternates to be inserted to the tourney once it's started, when another player is knocked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just took a quick look at rule 10 and see no restriction on allowing alternates.

[ QUOTE ]
RR, BTW, how's the action up at the Gilpin during all of this?

[/ QUOTE ]

About the same with some extra satellites running. I haven't been there since wed, so I don't know how the last couple of days have been.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:44 PM

That will suck if the qualifiers are sold out for the week. Can anybody that's been up there recently verify that it's the case?
If a qualifier seat is won through a satellite then is it a guaranteed entry into a particular date/time qualifier or is it just an entry like going in and buying in direct?
I was going to go up Sunday and play in the qualifier but I would hate to drive up there and find out it's sold out. I was also considering playing in both of the qualifiers Thursday and Friday and selling seats if I won multiple.

The whole thing is sounding like a pain now.

Anybody that is selling a seat to either a the main event or a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday qualifier please PM me.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:51 PM

Best bet is to call up there ahead of time and ask.

The phone number there is: 303-582-2906

If you win a qualifier certificate via a single table sit and go, legally they MUST give you a seat in a $340 qualifier.

Edit: I just called, and spoke with a Jason, and was told that tonight's $340 Qualifier is sold out, but so far, every other day/night is still open.

He also advised that they are still running the sit and goes as well, but only the $75 ones (where they award 2 seats).

BTW, you have to register for the qualifiers in person.

I'm playing in tonight's qualifier, as well as (currently) Monday, and Thursday Nights.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:50 PM

Good Luck Cincy!

I will see you up there tomorrow - I am playing Monday and Tuesday (my husband is playing Tuesday and Thursday).

I will PM you Remedial if we have a seat to sell.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Heartland Poker Tour Upcoming Events & they\'re coming 2 Denver are

Ok.... so I went up to Golden Gates today and the $75 sit and go satellites are easy, easy, easy. I was 2/3 on them and could have been 3/3 but I can't win coinflips

All of Sunday nights seats in the $340 qualifier were sold out. I signed up for tomorrow's satellite and will go from there. I'm not sure if I qualify if I'm going to play again and then sell the main event seat (if I am lucky enough to win twice) or just sell the qualifier seat. Either way, pm me with you offer if you are interested and I will get back to you.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:16 AM

I went up there today and wow... the people playing the satellites are clueless.

On the first satellite I suffered a bad beat and went from 200 chips to winning because of the silly mistakes that others made.

After two double ups and several blind steals I was actually in good shape again, until I lost a coinflip and was crippled. It was down to three handed and I moved all in, and both of the other players called as they should have. But instead of checking it down, the first player moved all in with top pair. I hit my ace on the turn and if they had both checked the other player would have hit their set on the river knocking me out.

No one there showed any basic knowledge of satellite play, giving most 2p2ers a pretty significant edge I imagine.

The second game I played I went out on the bubble unfortunately, but I can't wait to play in the qualifier on thursday. Please tell me what it's like whenever any of you play it. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 AM

And now for the Main Event! I'll be playing the second flight.

Played the Sunday qualifier and made it into the top 30. Competition is definitely better than that in the satellites. The first table I was on had a local pro and four other very strong players. Able to hold my own with them and realized that a number of other players respect my game.

Starting chip count for qualifier is 10,000. I figured if I could build my stack to 50,000 then I'd probably qualify. Most of the night I was card dead. I won less than a dozen hands, but a couple of them were large pots.

Defining hand of the night: Three players in hand. Myself, the BB whom I had taken 7,000 from a couple of hands earlier, and some broad who limped from mid-position.

I had As2s and limped from the SB. Flop brings an ace and two clubs. I push (poor impulse control). The BB calls for 4400 and then this woman calls my all-in for 29,000 (I have her covered). I know she doesn't have an ace because she limped. BB had JJ, broad had flush draw.

After I scoop the pot I have slightly more than 65,000 in chips. From here I set my glide path for descent. I took a couple of other pots, and lost a few with AK/AQ and pocket pairs that didn't improve.

Upon return from the final break I had ~35,000 in chips. Antes/blinds are 400/2,000/4,000. We were down to 34 players and I finally get my rush -- AJ, KJ, AJ, KK. Folded every single one. When they stopped the game, I was down to ~25,000 in chips.

Two primary challenges for me tonight. FIrst was to refrain from getting caught up in too many pots when I had a large stack. The other was folding my way into the money when were were down to 39 players. I was constantly asking myself if I had enough chips to let the shorter stacks get knocked out or if I should play my good cards.

See you guys at the final table! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]