Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 01:15 PM

Default ABA\'s CLAIM

aba 20 says there are no good no-limit books out there for cash games. Ive read a bunch and am thinking of reading Harrington's Series (even though they're for tourneys, Ed Miller says they can improve your cash game more than any other book). Lets discuss aba's claim. (i thought No-limit Theory and Practice was real good)
Old 06-08-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: ABA\'s CLAIM

He's probably right, but I think Ed Millers upcoming book (if it's ever actually released) should have some good new content that hasn't yet been exposed to poker readers.

Also I haven't read Stox's book yet and it's on limit, but I just have a hunch that it would be invaluable to all forms of hold em.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:02 PM

From a theoretical perspective, NLT&P is great and certainly a must read but we need a better book on the play of hands both Full Ring and Shorthanded.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:05 PM

To date, I think Ciaffone's book is still the best out there and that it is amazing because it was written so long ago. Hopefully the new Matt Flynn book will fill the gap.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:16 PM

it's semantics, there are lots of "good" NL books out...

but there's no book i'd give a 9 or 10 to yet. no outstanding books..... i'm thinking PNL will be. or if NOT then if ciaffone ever gets a large NL book done.

BTW, given that PNL is going to be two parts, is it theoretical or then problems?... i certainly don't want it to be split on important deep stack concepts like HOH 1 and 2 (making moves, including bluffing and continuation bets is in HOH2)
Old 06-08-2007, 02:22 PM

IMO, it would be difficult for any of the super-high NL experts to fairly review any of the NL poker literature. They're just too far advanced for the majority of concepts discussed.

Not to mention that many of the books target the much, much lower limit audience. And what works at 1/2, ain't gonna' work at 300/600.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, it would be difficult for any of the super-high NL experts to fairly review any of the NL poker literature. They're just too far advanced for the majority of concepts discussed.

Not to mention that many of the books target the much, much lower limit audience. And what works at 1/2, ain't gonna' work at 300/600.

[/ QUOTE ]

I trust Aba's opinion on this. Yes he plays 300-600 but he started at small stakes and probably has a good understanding on what a good book would be for beggining/intermediate player.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:37 PM

Would he even today you think? When Aba was coming up in the ranks, the online game wasn't as advanced as it is today. Back then, people were saving their rolls to play 10/20 where the experts roamed.

Nowadays, you can find tough NL games (online that is) even at the lower to low/medium stakes. The live games are still fishy though.

But just to re-quote myself, I said it "would be difficult for them to fairly review", definitely not impossible though.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:42 PM

Are the HOHs that worth it? Should I take the time to read them? The HOHs and Ciaffone are the only "good" texas holdem books I haven't read yet.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are the HOHs that worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are. In poker literature, they're considered must-reads.

Just keep in mind that you're not going to forever crush the cash games or tournament scene just b/c you've read them.