Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Negative calorie diet and weight training

Are there any benefits to weight training while on a negative calorie diet? I understand you will not build muscle if you don't eat enough calories but was wondering if there are any other benefits. I suppose it could help you lose fat by burning some more calories or something?

Sorry if this has been posted before, it's my first time in The Gym.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Negative calorie diet and weight training

Its a good question and truthfully if you're just starting out, you probably will gain muscle while losing fat for the first few months. When I first started lifting I was definitely at a calorie deficit and I gained around 15 lbs my first year with nothing besides whey protein as a supplement. I wasn't lifting very heavily during that period of time and was almost never pushing myself to failure, but if I had I probably wouldn't have gained much weight if at all. So basically I would say based on my own experience, if you're starting off lifting and really want to lose fat and build some muscle then you could still be very satisfied with the results that you'll achieve. If you've been lifting for awhile or you like to lift heavy (4-8 reps going to failure) then a calorie deficit will really hurt your gains, in fact you could get smaller and weaker.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:21 AM

You don't want to train for hypertrophy (getting bigger, sets in 6-12 rep range). Training for strength (1-5 rep sets) with short rest periods (~30sec) and compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, bench, pullups, and rows will have you burning more net calories throughout the day while the stregth training will force your body to keep the muscle it has.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't want to train for hypertrophy (getting bigger, sets in 6-12 rep range). Training for strength (1-5 rep sets) with short rest periods (~30sec)

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds fascinating. 1-5 rep sets? Could you elaborate on this a little? I've heard there are differences between lifting a couple really heavy sets vs doing longer not so heavy sets but I must admit I'm pretty clueless when it comes to that.