Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Auto Raise Hands in PLO?

As a convert from 6 max NLHE, I was wondering if you guys could help me with a concept. As far as PLO goes (specifically 6 max PLO), what hands do you feel are strong enough to raise with in any, or almost any position?

In NLHE this would be hands like AA-QQ, AK/AQs, as well as all or at least most pairs first in.

In PLO I'm thinking hands like:
AAKKds
AAJTds
No gap rundowns from, maybe Ace high to 9 high.

I'm wondering about hands like Suited Ace 3 runs, or double big pair hands and their ranges.

Can you guys offer any insight on this?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Auto Raise Hands in PLO?

[ QUOTE ]
As a convert from 6 max NLHE, I was wondering if you guys could help me with a concept. As far as PLO goes (specifically 6 max PLO), what hands do you feel are strong enough to raise with in any, or almost any position?

In NLHE this would be hands like AA-QQ, AK/AQs, as well as all or at least most pairs first in.

In PLO I'm thinking hands like:
AAKKds
AAJTds
No gap rundowns from, maybe Ace high to 9 high.

I'm wondering about hands like Suited Ace 3 runs, or double big pair hands and their ranges.

Can you guys offer any insight on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am QUICKLY finding out that position is much more a KEY factor in PLO then whatever you are holding in your hand. No hand is an auto raise. If you ask me it is more a matter of what position you are in + the starting hand. If you are in early position don't bother to raise 90% of the time with ANY hand! If you raise in early position you might as well lay down your hand and show everyone that you have aces.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:08 PM

about the only hand I almost always raise (at least the maximum) with in any position in unraised pot regardless of stacks/oposition is any AAxxds. I usually put in the last raise with it regardless of action.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:21 PM

Raiseable hands in PLO:

Aces and Kings...Kings if they have some backup. Aces almost anytime.
Rundowns: T987, especially suited or double suited
One-gap rundowns T986: especially suited with the gap at the low end.
Pairs and runs: JJT9ds
Double-suited broadways: AKJT and the like.
Maybe even some double-paired hands if the two cards are working together: QQJJ, QQTT, JJ99, etc.

That said, I find I do very little raising OOP unless I can get a big part of my stack in (like 40%). In EP I'm much more likely to go for a limp re-raise with the really strong hands. Like the poster before me wrote, position is HUGE with all the drawing and re-drawing in this game.

If I have a big hand in LP or on the button and a raise won't get enough of my stack in, I'll make a small raise to re-open the betting, hoping someone re-pops so I can jam.

I wouldn't recommend raising too loosely in the CO or button. It re-opens the betting and if someone comes back over top, you may have to throw away a AQJTss.

At the .25/.50 and .50/1 level, if you raise, they'll put you on Aces. It sets up some nice stealing and getting paid opportunities.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:32 PM

No offense but the title sounds very "Help me program my bot?"-ish.
Why would you want to auto do anything in a thinking game?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:33 PM

The good thing about rundowns like 8765 is that if you flop two pair, you always have a straight or straight draw to go with it.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The good thing about rundowns like 8765 is that if you flop two pair, you always have a straight or straight draw to go with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite always, but that's being quite anal on my part.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:52 PM

any hand is an auto raise hand for me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense but the title sounds very "Help me program my bot?"-ish.
Why would you want to auto do anything in a thinking game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I'm trying to program my bot.

Seriousy though, I think one of the biggest obstacles a NLHE player faces when jumping to PLO is the equity matchups. In NLHE, we're happy to be pounding the pot with AA since it is crushing a smaller pair.

In PLO one hand is never that far ahead of another Pre-Flop, and when you consider re-draws and such, things seem to change much faster on streets with PLO than NLHE.

My post was just a question where I'm trying to figure out a basic part of why we raise in PLO BESIDES PF equity, since there usually isn't that much difference most of the time. In getting some responses, I could see what types of hands they were looking to get money in the pot with, and then base my theory on why that was.

The 2 concepts I seemed to have picked up so far is that PLO seems to be more of a long ball game. I've also noticed how much more important position can be here as well, since things can change so fast.

Again, I know I've got a lot to learn, I'm just trying to take maybe a concept a week and really break it down and build on that with each week and lesson I learn.

Thanks again for everybody's input. I really appreciate the help!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:56 PM

Mike, yeah it is important to try not to be too predictable in PLO... I am learning this of late... and so nothing is auto. Good Luck!