Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Stop Loss Losing Sessions???

def sit out for an orbit or two, then decide if you really want to keep playing. the games will likely be good a few hours later, and clearing your mind can help a lot. unless you are playing with an uberfish literally giving money away, dont feel too obligated to stay just cuz you have an edge
Old 11-07-2007, 02:29 PM

If you are so disturbed by some losses that you are ranting about it there is almost no way you are not at leasat somewhat tilted and are not, even if you feel you are, on your A game. Take a few hour break and the game will still be there (for the most part) when you come back refreshed. This is one of my main problems too so I know exactly how you feel.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When is it time to call a session quits even when you know you are playing your A game, but just can't seem to get anything going and are taking a beating??? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the game is still good and you're playing well then you stay. Simple. Some of my biggest winning sessions have started out with 75BB drops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I have selective memory but I feel like I never finish in the black at a table after I'm down 10 bets. I've started to leave after losing 30 & felt pretty good about it, not withstanding the realization that it's mathematically "incorrect".
Old 11-07-2007, 03:02 PM

tilt effects me strangely ... i don't get bent out of shape when something standard happens like aces cracked or having my set outdrawn because im just as liable to do the same. What does "get" me is when i notice a weird sense of inevitability or invulnerability. That sense leads to leaks like not charging draws or taking huge chances drawing.

I'm not saying i dont ever bang the mouse around when someone hits a backdoor flush against my flopped set when they had no pair....but i usually can just make a note and move on in that situation.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:47 PM

Here's something Schneids said on a different forum that got me thinking that *maybe* there is more good than bad with stop losses..

"What I do know is this: Almost every poker pro I know would be a richer person if they had quit their bad sessions sooner than they did. Almost every person who's opinion I respect also agrees with this statement.

Yeah, it's tough to quit when the game is super good and you're running super bad. But it's probably best to quit sooner than you feel it's right to."

Coming from NLHE, it seems like 3-5 buyin swings can be normal, and I have come back from some pretty dismal places. There are also times I wished I would have quit after dropping a buyin and getting that "And the nightmare begins" kind of feeling.

I read in Aba's blog that he is adopting a strict, 3 buyin stop loss limit heads up. He learned that from another great player - Phil Ivey.

Like I said, maybe there is more to it than I first thought?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When is it time to call a session quits even when you know you are playing your A game, but just can't seem to get anything going and are taking a beating??? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you play your A-game and feel you have an edge it should be correct to continue. The problem is (at least for me) that's almost impossible to be honest to yourself whether you play your A-game or not. Sit out an orbit. Your mind will get clearer almst the second your eyes moves away from the screen. Then decide.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:01 PM

I havent read the whole thread

But i would rather work on tilt control than spend time figuring out the number of BB's I can stand to loose.

Just dont tilt!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:55 AM

Schneids has often said that he owes a lot of success to playing short sessions while losing and long sessions while winning. I think this is the best strategy.

When you're losing, the chances of these factors happening increase -
* You have a poor image which encourages your opponents to play more optimally against you.
* You might think the game is "good", but the real story is that you are the underdog against this lineup but you don't realize it or understand why.
* Your opponents' strategies might be individually terrible, but mesh together in a way that reduces your EV. (See Chapter 29, The Mathematics of Poker.)
* You are on tilt and making poor decisions without realizing it.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Schneids has often said that he owes a lot of success to playing short sessions while losing and long sessions while winning. I think this is the best strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that would be an easier way to look at it. Right now I play hours, not results, but your results are affected by your image and how you are running card-wise.

I'm just worried that it seems like a bit of a catch 22 though, in that sometimes I might have gotten off to a bad start for the first 1/2 hour or hour, and then came back. Of course there have been days when the loss I took in the first 1/2 would have been MUCH less than the one I took because I kept playing.

Thanks for the great input so far, too. I really appreciate it!