Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Limping UTG!!!

I play 5-max and I'm raising this bad boy pf almost every time.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

One such reason could be:

I am playing 10NL and I do not have much in terms of postflop skill and people tend to be calling stations, so I prefer to just be a mindless nit and just build my roll the easy way untill I hit levels, where I might get forced to open my game in order to survive. (Which is perfectly valid imo)

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, that's an incredibly good reason to fold at uNL.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a reason at all for folding. The looser your opponents play, the more you should loosen up also, because your substandard hands still fare well against their range. Also, if they are calling stations (or really in any way terrible) post-flop, then that's also only an argument for playing even more hands, to abuse their poor play in later streets.

Even if you're not an expert post-flop player yourself, it's probably good to throw yourself into these marginal spots once in a while (and post about them).
Old 09-24-2007, 12:18 AM

[x] But how much do you loose?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:30 AM

I liked pokey's response. But, igore any player that says you should always fold this. Limping is okay if you also sometimes limp with your big hands. And the good players might just a call a good hand they would usually raise with. Of course limping here depends greatly how the table is. Is everyone playing tight? Do people not raise PF enough. Have you limped with a big hand before.
With all that said. Most of the time you should fold. But, if as you can see table conditions permit. Limping is not a bad play either. And even still raising would be good sometimes as well. Know your table and you will succeed more with these types of hands. Just don't make a habit of limping too often so the good players don't punish you for it.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:53 AM

i don't limp very often, but in games with a bunch of stations, i'll limp up front sometimes, Axs and small pp mostly, because they can make the nuts/pseudonuts most easily, and i won't get enough folds to play them agressively. its not something i do a lot of online though.

i think if you're going to limp some hands up front that its important that you do it with at least a couple of differnet hand types though. there's a lot of players that limp pp up front, and nothing else, just like there's a lot of players that call raises in the blinds with pp and nothing else. that puts you at a big disadvantage against good players, because its so transparent, and you'll get blown off your hand a lot postflop by worse hands.

another thing to consider is that in some games agression levels are so high that it can be pretty tempting to limp hands like 22 to protect yourself from chucking it to a 3bet, and with higher implied odds than normal against opponents that are also agressive postflop.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:22 AM

The link to "Dear uNL, you're not good enough"

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1
Old 09-24-2007, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The link to "Dear uNL, you're not good enough"

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite the fact he drives me bananas. he is right.

Also too,

In vegas I open limped UTG once while someone was sweating me. They told me if I did it again they were taking the laptop away.

In seriousness at this point must of the cons outtweigh the pros by a lot.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:11 AM

Thank you sir!