Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-10-2007, 09:06 PM

Default First B&M Visit -- Advice?

Next weekend (Oct 20-21) I'm going to Turning Stone w/ a few friends for my first B&M visit. I've played online for 4-5 years, and play home games, but i really dont know what to expect.

TS didnt have the stakes on their website, so I dont know what kind of NL games they spread. I'm looking for something from 200nl to 500nl, but does anyone know what kinds they spread

From what I hear, the play is real weak, is just standard TAG the way to go? Also, in 1-2nl for example, is the standard opening raise like $15 insetad of $8?

Finally, whats the policy about annoucning raises and stuff, and tipping hte dealers. And for anyone who's been to TS before, whats the rake like?

thanks a lot,

1gotth3nuts
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: First B&M Visit -- Advice?

I never understood the idea of "standard raise," Even if people are raising 10x bb, I still raise 3 or 4. Do whatever. If you have been playing poker for a while and are good at it, you should be able to adjust.

Tipping the dealer is standard at $1 a pot. You may see people at 1/2 tipping like half the pot. Don't worry about it to fit in. Some gambler may look down their nose at you, but whatever. If you are at a table with such hard heads, you probably want to go to a different table, because these guys will fold if you are in the pot.

I always announce the number of my raise, it is pretty funny when I announce the amount when I am playing limit. If you choose to do this quietly, then you should stack your bet behind the line and put ALL of it across in one shove, otherwise it is a string bet. If someone bets $20 in front of you and you throw out a $100 chip silently, then you have called. You must say raise for it to bind.

But I want to touch on this:

Poker is a social game. You will be surrounded by people bludgeoning each other and having a jolly conversation at the same time. There (should be) hot waitresses walking around, etc.

Please leave your Ipod at home. I hate the internet kids who sit and stare at us like we are a bunch of morons with their "chat box" off. This behavior is bad for the game, and worse for you, because you want action, and no one will give action to a mole. And while I don't soft-play anyone, I am more willing to let a bet go from someone who is talkative and gambling it up than someone like this. I want this person away from the game as soon as possible, and every one else does as well, which means that every one will be playing the mole harder.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 PM

^^^Biggest nit in the world.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 PM

haha, thanks for your post. im probably going to bring my ipod with the intent of only using it if the table is boring as hell
Old 10-10-2007, 10:17 PM

I like bringing a music player with me. If I play a hand badly / take a bad beat / start tilting, it's good to throw on some headphones and listen to some upbeat / pump me up music. Good way to get away from poker for a minute and refocus while putting yourself in a better mood.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:30 PM

Read this thread, this will help:

Newbie B&M guide

You'll be fine, just leave the TV stuff at home, you don't need sunglasses and all that. Just remember that white = $1, red is $5, green is $25 (usually). Remember your dealer and cocktail waitresses.

Protect your hand, use a card protector. Do not give the dealer your cards until the pot is coming at you, and do not fold them until another player shows you a better hand.

IPODs are fine, but if you're new to B&M skip it until you'll comfortable with the game.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 PM

I was nervous as hell my first time and played like a super nit, until I started seeing the hands people were showing down. You know more than you think. Don't be afraid to ask questions too, given it'll actually help your image... TAG will work provided you limp a couple of times so you don't look like a total tighty - you'll have tons of opportunities to limp a blind level with 6-7 other players.

Raise the standard table amount (try to watch a 1/2 table while you're waiting for a seat to see what people are raising - $15 is what I see as getting at least 1 call). Don't raise 3-4 chips thinking you're doing yourself a favor ending up holding KK against 7 other limpers...

And don't play over your comfort level. I.e., if you can't stand to lose your buyin, don't sit down... or buy in short and do some pushbotting...

And have fun!
Old 10-11-2007, 12:05 AM

Ya, Ive got some advice for you.

1. pay attention. Dont always ask if it is your turn.
2. Dont count out your chips in 10 dollar stacks
3. Tip the dealer, and dont pretend like you just " forgot"
4. Dont ask who raised
5. Dont wear your sunglasses
6. Dont stare down anyone when your going to fold anyway
7. When you get caught bluffing, just turn over your cards at showdown.. please dont make the whole table wait

There are 100 more.. but this will get you started. I dont want to overload you on ur first trip.

TJL
Old 10-11-2007, 12:15 AM

I'll bet you are shocked that I am not offended.

[ QUOTE ]
^^^Biggest nit in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am just telling OP how to not look like a jackass. If that is nitty, then yeah, okay. Not that there is something inherently wrong with IPods, I have worn them myself.

Forget it, if I have to explain, then you are probably one of them anyways.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never understood the idea of "standard raise," Even if people are raising 10x bb, I still raise 3 or 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what you can offer when you start out suggesting he raise an amount that will only get called or raised often.

It's like saying I only play tight no matter what the table is like...