Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Borgata mid-week trip report

In some time in between jobs, I decided to decompress for 2 days (Wed, Thurs, nights. These are my brief observations:

1. Decided to splurge for the Fiori suite ($250 per night) and was extremely disappointed. This layout has to be the biggest waste of space ever. Entry foyer (waste), large bedroom with the tv at one end of the room where you could barely see it and a strange looking sofa that might have folded out futon-like for extra sleeping. The bathroom was almost the size of the bedroom with two sinks, clothes closet, vanity desk with no mirror (?), deep tub (no jets) and the walk in shower and separate room for the head. I have no idea why this suite was so great unless you wanted to entertain in the bathroom.

2. Mid-week at the Borgata during winter is very strange - some of the higher end restaurants are closed and the clubs as well but I did have two decent dinners at Wolfgang Pucks sitting at the bar.

3. Played about 16 hours of 1-2 NL during my stay and won about $1100, this game is much more fun and challenging than LL HE with the retired rocks. It's amazing how passive this game actually plays and with some chips and decent aggressiveness you can really force people to fold early. Some classic moments with a player I'll call the wacko Russian Kid.

-Kid calls $2 preflop and has 7 friends with him at the flop. Flop - all rags. Kid bets $50 gets 1 caller. Turn an apparent blank - Kid bets $50 and gets raised all-in for another $100- Kid calls, flips AA and gets beat by top two pair. Kid goes beserk and steams for 1/2 hour.

-About an hour later- Kid calls a $10 preflop bet from mid position. Flop come up K K rag. Kid bets $30 raiser calls. Turn is rag - Kid bets $50 and raiser puts him all in for about $150 - Kid calls, flips K 6 off and raiser flips K Q suited and drags the pot. Kid steams for another hour proclaiming bad beat.

Now I am not an expert at baby NL by any means but is seems that most players play the game limit style and don't know how to use their chips effectively. Also, most players are short on cash and unless they have the nuts or close to it they will rarely call an all-in putting their poker bankroll at risk.