Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: 40-80 Commerce Line - Way Ahead Heads Up

c/c
Old 11-05-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As played, though, I'd bet this turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

but the important thing to take home is that "as played" shouldn't have to be said when discussing this hand. Its better to find the errors made in a hand like this (pre-flop and flop) than to only focus on the street where the hero is a lock.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[but the important thing to take home is that "as played" shouldn't have to be said when discussing this hand. Its better to find the errors made in a hand like this (pre-flop and flop) than to only focus on the street where the hero is a lock.

[/ QUOTE ]

My on-again off-again coach Barry Tanenbaum calls this a "heart attack" hand...because the only way he'd be in this situation would be if the guy playing the hand had a heart attack after the turn and asked Barry to take over as the paramedics pulled him away.

In that sense, TT is right. But, with the "heart attack" caveat, I would check-raise the river.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I really doubt all the ass-kissing in the world will get mike to start posting as much as used to but it is still worth a try considering he has most likely posted the highest volume of solid advice in the history of 2p2 for the limit forums."

Now THAT is a really good ass-backwards ass-kissing compliment. Snowball, we've been one-upped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you appreciate the finer aspects of the ass kiss. However, I derive very little benefit from mike posting here since if I need him all I do is call and we have already spent a bazillion hours discussing the game mostly just to come to the conclusion that LHE is a farce.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LHE is a farce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell us a little more about this?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LHE is a farce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell us a little more about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is basically the idea that the long run is very long and the luck factor looms so large that there are tons of mediocre players running well and playing bigger and bigger all the while thinking they are gods gift to poker when their fundamental understanding of the game is flawed.

FWIW, I don't really buy in to it but you asked so there ya go.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 PM

Thank you for the comments. I agree that I did not play any part of the hand well up to the point of the turn; I mentioned that in my posting.

But this was a hand I wanted to play well on the turn and river and I think the bet/check-raise option is very very close. And to those that say this will never happen again, it's the 2nd time it's happened to me this year.

But even more important, for those that say "snowball" I could simply change the title to "nuts on the turn, heads up, now what?". This happens a lot, and in fact "should" mathematically happen more often to those on this Board due to how we play prior streets.

In this particular case, there's a few more scenario issues. First, and most important, I played utter passively before the turn bet. Second, the player is unknown to me (and vice versa). It is part 2 as to why I did what I did, which I will say below.

Most important reason this is important is that this hand has the opportunity to represent the entire session's profit. Not more than a few hands earlier in this same session a flop of AKx went 4 bets on the flop AND turn among two different players, and then bet, call on river (turn and river both looking like, and in fact being, blanks). What did they have? AK and AA. AA opened and jammed, and got paid for it. If AA had slowplayed, like I did, he would have lost all those bets.

To the conclusion:

I bet, and he was shocked. He thought about it, looked at his cards, moaned a bit, and called. The river was K (for those not paying attention, that means KJxJK, and I have pocket Jacks).

I decided that he would need to be pretty bad not to have check raised my turn with his own KK, so the river didn't scare me, and I bet. He folded almost immediately, flashing 99.

My side of the table congratulated me on my obvious bluff. I mucked quietly.

I think it's clear that having TAKEN THE LINE I ALREADY HAD TAKEN, I should have checked. Yes, I miss the chance for the one bet, but I put him on the plane to give me multiple bets, and that's enough positive EV to make it worth it.

Had I knew the player better (ie, at all), I believe I would have made a more player-specific decision. But with no information, next time I'm checking. And raising the flop, too.

Good luck this week.