Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 10-24-2007, 06:55 AM

Default Calling ranges

I think this is my biggest problem in MTTs.
I never know what stack and what hand I need against open shovers from certain positions.
Should I risk my entire stack of 10BB in the big blind when a tight button open shoves and I'm holding KTo.

Stuff like that is what I don't really understand.

Can someone post some brief guidlines please?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Calling ranges

Seriously, not to be rude, but haven't you been around long enough to know that you can't just come up with a list of hands to call pushes from specific positions? These kinds of questions will never be answered in the way you want them to. It depends on more factors than just the open-pusher's position.

Standard answer is: Post hands were you're not sure what to do, and make sure to include reads, stack sizes etc. Then you can ask "What's my calling range here?".
Old 10-24-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, not to be rude, but haven't you been around long enough to know that you can't just come up with a list of hands to call pushes from specific positions? These kinds of questions will never be answered in the way you want them to. It depends on more factors than just the open-pusher's position.

Standard answer is: Post hands were you're not sure what to do, and make sure to include reads, stack sizes etc. Then you can ask "What's my calling range here?".

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I do know that it's not that easy to say so what are some general thoughts that go on in your mind before you call. What calculations do you use?
I mean you can put him on a range and calculate the equity against your range but do you constantly risk half your 20BB stack if someone with 10BB shoves and you have 55% equity against his button shoving range.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean you can put him on a range and calculate the equity against your range but do you constantly risk half your 20BB stack if someone with 10BB shoves and you have 55% equity against his button shoving range.

[/ QUOTE ]
[x] Yes. With the money in the pot thats >=60/40 & so folding is awful {assuming not near FT}
[x] I also agree that posting specific hands is the best way to discuss these spots
Old 10-24-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is my biggest problem in MTTs.
I never know what stack and what hand I need against open shovers from certain positions.
Should I risk my entire stack of 10BB in the big blind when a tight button open shoves and I'm holding KTo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. The biggest reason is b/c you have no FE when you call. If you can wait and shove later with some FE, I think it is much more valuable.