Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 06:38 AM

Default NL100 - QQ versus a nit

9-handed NL100 table on stars, effective stacks $100

Hero opens QQ from the HJ for $3
Villain (in SB) raises to $12

Villain has played very tight, something like 9/4 after 50 hands. I've been somewhat active, but not enough that I'd expects he's adjusting to me what-so-ever. I figure his range here is KK+, AKs (and about 50% of the time QQ, AK as well)

Q1) Is this range unreasonable tight for this player given my read?
Q2) Given this range (or whatever range you think reasonable), is calling his raise standard? What if we had JJ-88 instead?

I call $9, combining implied odds + position + strength of QQ (even tho it sucks vs his range)

Flop ($24) comes 256 two spades, I have no spade.

If villain makes a normal sized cbet, I plan on folding. But instead, villain checks [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

At this point, I don't know if he's just playing AA/KK weird, or giving up w/ AK (I doubt he's raising PF if he gives up here).

Q3) Is this a pretty standard check behind on the flop? If he again checks a non-A/K turn, should we now bet something to protect against his likely 6 outs?

TY to anyone willing to tackle all 3 questions, I think they're fairly straightforward. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 06:49 AM

Default Re: NL100 - QQ versus a nit

Q1: 4% of hands is 99+, AK, AQs. He'll probably be even tighter for a 3-bet, but your range still seems overy tight to me.

Q2: Against the stated range you only have 28% equity preflop, since you're either a coinflip or way behind. So going by that I'd fold to the reraise from this nit.
Against the bigger range above, you're slightly ahead so calling and evaluating is OK by me.

When he checks the flop, I'm taking him for a fit or fold type and I'd donk the turn if it's not an A or K.

Q3: I would c-bet in his position nearly always, though relatively lower than normally, something between 1/2 and 2/3 pot.

preflop:ill 4bet him and fold vs a shove.
flop: easy checkbehind for pot control,he could be trapping.
turn: 1)we can call a bet and reconsider calling a river bet (depends on the size)
2) if a A comes, ill consider even raising trying to bluff a KK ,QQ , JJ. and if he calls/raise shut down the turn/ river.

this belongs in the full ring forum, but ill give this a shot.

1. ur range sounds perfectly reasonable.

2. calling is standard, but only because of relative position and the strength of ur hand, not for implied odds.

3. i just go ahead and bet the flop and play poker from there.