Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 06:31 PM

Default dell wireless utility screwing with my connection?

i'll start by saying i don't like dell.

anyway, i have a problem with my wireless settings. dell wireless utility came on my computer and is set to manage the wireless settings instead of windows. my connection is really bad and i always get dropped pretty frequently, so i tried disabling the dell wireless utility and letting windows manage. that doesn't really work because i get the 'limited or no connectivity' error and can't ever connect.

i tried uninstalling the dell wireless utility and still couldnt connect to the wireless network. my old dell laptop had no problems connecting to our wireless network and i never used dell wireless utility, so i don't think its an issue of being too far away from the router.

i suspect this stupid [censored] program that dell loaded on my computer is causing these problems. help?

thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: dell wireless utility screwing with my connection?

Seems the ISP's are policing it.

China Online Poker link
Old 02-11-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

China Online Poker link

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:00 AM

What router are you using?

JAque
Old 02-12-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

China Online Poker link

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Oops, I posted on the wrong thread. That's what I get for multi-tabling and trying to post on 2+2.lol Sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2007, 02:10 AM

Now I'll try to help you with your problem.

I'll start by saying I do like Dell.

It sounds to me like you could possibly have a problem with the Dell wireless card. First off, you said you old laptop worked fine, so we can assume (for now) that your internet connection and router are working ok. I wouldn't blame the Dell wireless utility for your connection problems. I don't really like the layout of utility but it works fine. I honestly like the XP utility better and it does a nice job of managing the wireless card. Since you've tried both utilities and haven't been able to keep a good connection with either one, I don't see how you can blame Dell's wireless software.

I had a customer with a new Dell laptop and she had similar problems to yours. I'd advise you to do what I did for her; update the wireless card's driver to the latest release. You should be able to find this on Dell's site. Then if that doesn't work, call Dell. I assume this laptop is under warranty. I ended up getting Dell to admit the wireless card was defective and they sent me a new one to replace it. It is very easy to replace and only takes a couple minutes.

Sooo, I'd update the drivers and if that doesn't work, call Dell. It would also be helpful to know for a fact that the internet connection and router aren't causing the problem.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I'll try to help you with your problem.

I'll start by saying I do like Dell.

It sounds to me like you could possibly have a problem with the Dell wireless card. First off, you said you old laptop worked fine, so we can assume (for now) that your internet connection and router are working ok. I wouldn't blame the Dell wireless utility for your connection problems. I don't really like the layout of utility but it works fine. I honestly like the XP utility better and it does a nice job of managing the wireless card. Since you've tried both utilities and haven't been able to keep a good connection with either one, I don't see how you can blame Dell's wireless software.

I had a customer with a new Dell laptop and she had similar problems to yours. I'd advise you to do what I did for her; update the wireless card's driver to the latest release. You should be able to find this on Dell's site. Then if that doesn't work, call Dell. I assume this laptop is under warranty. I ended up getting Dell to admit the wireless card was defective and they sent me a new one to replace it. It is very easy to replace and only takes a couple minutes.

Sooo, I'd update the drivers and if that doesn't work, call Dell. It would also be helpful to know for a fact that the internet connection and router aren't causing the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the response. i'm sure it's not the internet connection because i still have my old laptop and the connection on that is perfect, never dropped and never slow. quite the opposite for my new laptop.

i'll try all your suggestions when i get home from work. thanks again.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:28 AM

Good luck and glad to help. Let us know what happens....

- Jason