Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 12-01-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: The Ultra-Fi thread

[ QUOTE ]
Also I think if I became a big audiophile, I would still place a ton of importance on the aesthetics of the room. Saying looks don't matter is like saying presentation doesn't matter in fine dining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody claims this. Please to be trolling elsewhere.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:18 PM

It's been a long time - but basically the overall presentation was better with the Blue Heavens speed, bass, highs. I paid $200+ I think for like 6 ' spaded. (always buy more than you think you need - I regreted only having 6') They aren't cheap but they aren't taht much in the grand scheme of things. My next system will be more modest. cabling will probably be not much more that say Kimber PBJ, Creek 5350 and very good monitor speakers like Von Schweikets VR1's - all purchased used on Audiogon.com
Old 12-01-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's been a long time - but basically the overall presentation was better with the Blue Heavens speed, bass, highs. I paid $200+ I think for like 6 ' spaded. (always buy more than you think you need - I regreted only having 6') They aren't cheap but they aren't taht much in the grand scheme of things. My next system will be more modest. cabling will probably be not much more that say Kimber PBJ, Creek 5350 and very good monitor speakers like Von Schweikets VR1's - all purchased used on Audiogon.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain where the difference comes from, from your understanding?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much everything even loosely related to the "audiophile" market is a scam, whenever anyone does a double blind test the audiophiles freak out(because they've just spent $400 on a volume knob and admitting they got took is too great a blow to the ego) and claim the test was invalid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything about this stuff but my intuition is that theres a significant grain of truth to what you're saying but that there's also a real difference between the speakers you can get for a few hundred bucks and the speakers you can get for a few thousand. Please to be linking the studies you're talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why Nielso got so defensive, clearly components are the least scammy part of the niche market. He and I would differ on where the diminishing marginal return on investment becomes unbearable for components(and probably by a lot), but I think he'd likely admit that diminishing marginal return exists.

The pure scam is the cabling and power cords and etc. stuff. $17k speakers are not worth $15k more than $2k speakers to a reasonable person, but they do have some real physical differences (that are then translated to significant perception differences through the power of self-delusion).

The cabling stuff is all absolutely hilarious to read, though, let me try to find a link I read that was a roundup of various power cords. It was on some audiophile forum where even mentioning double blind testing was a bannable offense.

Also, I'm not trolling, Nielso, people need to know that the audiophile market is specifically targeted to exploit Emperor's New Clothes syndrome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are trolling. You are trolling because you keep making sweeping statements; statements which are not backed up by any technical knowledge nor any kind of situational analysis.

Your sweeping statements (including your first sentence in this thread which stated that *everything* related to audiohpile is a scam) are not appreciated here and if you continue like this I'll ask a moderator to do something about it.

If you'd read this thread you'll find me burning several audio designs. But I'm doing so through backing up my statements technically. There is no point in stating your opinion of something if you can't back it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noone has to deliver backup for the statement that almost everything selling as "audiophile" is scam. You don't getter sound or whatever if you use a cable worth $10.000, it has been done a thousand times before, just use google.
If you talk about good speakers, self-made speakers or how the shape and interiour of a room affects the audio quality you are talking about something completely different. You talk about stuff that can be verified by both science and blind tests.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Noone has to deliver backup for the statement that almost everything selling as "audiophile" is scam. You don't getter sound or whatever if you use a cable worth $10.000, it has been done a thousand times before, just use google.
If you talk about good speakers, self-made speakers or how the shape and interiour of a room affects the audio quality you are talking about something completely different. You talk about stuff that can be verified by both science and blind tests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please stop flaming needlessly if you don't have anything to add which hasn't already been said.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain where the difference comes from, from your understanding?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd have to ask the PhD enginners at Nordost who designed the things.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also I think if I became a big audiophile, I would still place a ton of importance on the aesthetics of the room. Saying looks don't matter is like saying presentation doesn't matter in fine dining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody claims this. Please to be trolling elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The essense of ultra-fi is that audio-quality is the main goal, and looks, costs, labour and so on are of lower importance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please to quit being a dick to someone who's just trying to contribute to your thread.