Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Motherboard died, need replacement

After 5 years, my ASUS mobo died on me. At least that's what the Geek Squad says. Last time I purchased one, I did so on PriceWatch. I was wondering if you guys could make a recommendation from the list of mobo combos here. Thanks.

BTW - I guess I'm kinda looking for best bang for the buck. I don't need anything too intense.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Motherboard died, need replacement

Newegg usually has good pricing. How much are you willing to spend?

Also, there are many many sites out there that do product reviews. I suggest comparing performance and price and finding the best value. Usually, you can find something where performance drops off quickly if you go just a little bit cheaper but price goes up quickly if you go for a little better performance.

Anyways, I wouldn't settle for anything other than an Intel Core 2 right now. Also, the newest release of CPUs from Intel, just recently, are actually a good amount cheaper and a (little) bit better than the first generation Core 2s. These newer chips' product numbers end with a 50, instead of 00. For example, E6700 and E6750 are both 2.67 GHz Core 2 Duo processors, the latter being the newest release, and cheaper. Also, the newer line has a slightly higher FSB.

I just built an entirely new computer from the ground up yesterday. Ordered from newegg on Sunday, had it built and running by yesterday evening. I bought an Core 2 Duo E6750, which I found to be of excellent value. However, the newer p35 chipset is used with the higher FSB and are a little bit more expensive than motherboards with the p965/p975 chipset. Mobos with the p965/p975 chipset would support the older generation of Core 2 CPUs. Using a 1333 MHz FSB CPU on the older chipset would require overclocking , though, this I'm not really positive on. I think I've read that some p965 mobos are built to run on a 1333 MHz FSB, but they could just be overclocked by the manufacturer, I really don't know.

I ended up going with a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R mobo. It has a nice little added bonus of supporting either DDR2 or DDR3 RAM, though not both at the same time.

So, just look around at various reviews. Don't take one site's word for it either. I like to compare reviews from various sites to get a form a better overall opinion.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 PM

Update: I can have the chip moved over to a new "socket A" board AND have my copy of windows restored, but this will apparently cost me a bit because of labor. Am I getting owned or is this the best option?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:49 PM

Were you having problems before the motherboard died that would require a reinstallation of windows?

If you had no problems there is no reason to reinstall.

As for you getting owned or not, it depends on what they are charging just for a motherboard replacement (and labor for putting the mobo in).
Old 08-09-2007, 07:19 PM

Nothing that would require a new installation. Just went to sleep a couple times overnight, and I had to restart in the morning (same thing happened before it died).

As far as the costs:
$70 for the new "socket A" mobo, $210 for labor for me to have it "as good as it was before it died"

Owned?
Old 08-10-2007, 06:55 AM

Hmm $210 is really gross. They should be put in jail for that markup. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2007, 07:15 PM

Guys,

What should I haggle for? I really appreciate the help.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:15 AM

Can you even haggle them?

It depends on their skill level to determine an amount of time. A uber technician could replace the motherboard and have it up and running within 5-7 full minutes in most cases (if nothing had to be reinstalled).

On average I'd say it's probably a 15 minute job for someone who has a job that is repairing computers.

If you're paying $70 for the motherboard. $100ish seems good. $120 just for the "whatever, I want the thing to work, do it!". Any more than that and I think you're getting really ripped.