Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Popular (book, movie, etc) that you simply don\'t like.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. They totally screwed up the book when making the film.
Douglas Adams must be spinning in his urn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are either joking or ignorant.

Douglas Adams wrote the script before he died and one of the few things he wished for before he died was the film got made as he tried numorous times with no success to sell the script - ironically it was probably his death which was the tipping point for it being picked up.

He also wrote the books, radio show and TV show and was clearly a big fan in adapting and changing his work for the media it is shown in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nevertheless. the story was changed after his time to turn it into a love story.
The people who made the final film forgot it was meant to be a comedy.

Just a side point, I heard the radio program when it first came out and also read the books when they came out.
The BBC TV version was not just similar to the radio program - it was identical, word for word.

The differences between the books and the radio program (second season) are obvious. However, they are a different story.
The film is meant to be the SAME story - which it clearly is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to argue with you because apparently you are the original fan of Hitchikers Guide - but are still obtuseto the fact that the series is infamous for each version and adaption not being an exact copy of the previous - however, I do wonder why you bring the movie up in this thread anyway? The title is about popular things, this movie was not popular, even - as you prove - among Hitchhiker fans.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always hated Seinfeld. In general I dont like shows where I want to punch one of the main characters for being a [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I often wanted to punch all of them for being a censored. That was part of the fun for some, but I could only watch it on and off. Sometimes it was so high-strung that the characters became too hard to like.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I always hated Seinfeld. In general I dont like shows where I want to punch one of the main characters for being a [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I often wanted to punch all of them for being a censored. That was part of the fun for some, but I could only watch it on and off. Sometimes it was so high-strung that the characters became too hard to like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really, really wanted to punch Kramer in the ovary, but I still loved the show in spite of him.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's one that I simply can't defend, but it's true nonetheless: I just don't really like the Beatles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will agree on that, they've done possibly one song that I like.

Will throw out Brazil, always seems to be in imdb's top 250 but it's the worst film I've ever seen, and I have for some reason seen Black Knight
Old 09-25-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Will throw out Brazil, always seems to be in imdb's top 250 but it's the worst film I've ever seen, and I have for some reason seen Black Knight

[/ QUOTE ]

They need to speed up the development of that machine that will allow me to slap people over the interwebs.

Oh and I nominate Gladiator plot stole whole sale from earlier better movies notably El Cid and Spartacus, and all the characters where clichéd I kept waiting for Commodious to introduce his friend Biggus Dickus.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:42 PM

Second Napoleon Dynamyte. Can I get that time back?

I'm going to nominate 24. I really don't like this show and the plot is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

I saw the movie first, and thought is was great. A few people I know told me the book was much better so I ordered it off amazon. While I read the whole thing, I just didnt find it as entertaining as the movie, which seems to go against everyone who has seen/read both.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:51 PM

The NBC version of The Office!

I have tried to force myself to like this many more times than it deserves, but cannot. I know it is partially because the BBC version is one of the best shows ever, but even when I put that in the back of my mind as best I can I still see it as unfunny. It seems unfocused, way too over the top, and awkwardly throws in romance where it doesn't need to be.

Also, after watching the season premiere tonight, it has become apparent that none of the characters have an internal monologue.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:17 AM

The Bible

also *almost* every popular network TV show, Pirates, Harry Potter, Spiderman, Million Dollar Baby, most Will Ferrel films (even though I like him a lot) and nearly every film with P&A over $20M.

I recently watched Midnight Cowboy and I thought it was the weirdest most pointless predictable plot ever with strange creepy acting (only good part was the party). I thought Easy Rider was ok for a film that was shot without a script.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:14 AM

sporks