Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 11:38 PM

Default X-Post: \"A Game\"

I feel that at 2/4 through 3/6, I have an A game that allows me to be, at worst, the 2nd best player at the table in any game I choose.

However, I feel like I only use my "A" game maybe 50% of the time when I play sessions of 6 tables or more. I feel this to be a large detriment when I am playing my C-game at, say, 3/6. It's costly.

Any mental exercises or habits I can do to maintain my A game? I feel like this is the big difference right now between me being a marginal winner and me eventually becoming a big winner @ 5/10 and higher by the end of the year.

Is this kind of mental fortitude something that can be taught?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: X-Post: \"A Game\"

Ever consider dropping a few tables? Maybe completely take off PAHUD to allow yourself to concentrate better? (This includes other distractions like 2p2/AIM/etc).
Old 03-26-2007, 11:43 PM

im usually in the same boat.

loosening up forces me to concentrate a whole lot better.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:48 PM

6-tables max for a while, you'll avg 5.something and will thus put yourself in a position to play your A-game 100% of the time. After a while, where you are confident that you are playing your A-game >95% of the time, try 7 tables, then 8, etc etc
Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 AM

For me it stems from boredom and feeling the need to play, when I actually am not in the mood for it.

The money we make is not small, so we feel we can't afford to not be playing, but often we are absent minded and distracted.

Usually I can play myself into the right state of mind, but this usually takes an hour or so ... but sometimes there is nothing else to do but to call it a day.

Basically I find that you have to be interested in what you are doing in other to be productive and .... let's face poker is a facinating game, but the grind of it easily can bore you.

Solutions:
1. Find something to be interested in.

Like dwelling deeper into the opposition, looking him up in PT ... taking some notes etc. or changing you style of playing to something that feels different to what you are used to like loosening up or tigthening up.

Learn more than one game ... hit the PLO tables or similar ... stay fresh .. stay interested.

Also there is the away from the tables stuff, like workout (cough cough, like I ever do it, but it is a good idea), stay in shape, so if nothing else you are physically fresh and have something to sustain you.

Also getting away from poker once in a while, the grind 2+2 etc sure can eat you up mentally.

Dunno, hope some of this makes sense and helps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(PS, this is my cheating on my selfimposed ban account, I am usually known as Gelford)
Old 03-27-2007, 01:37 AM

Play 4 tables listening to "groovy" type music. Instrumental is best. Something w/ a soothing beat, but not aggro. Talk to yourself while making decisions (in your head is fine, like your making a video). Turn off 2+2, aim, t.v.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:15 AM

I guess this is kind of irrelevant, but have you ever thought that maybe a lot of those times you think you're on your A game are really just when you happen to get into good spots that are fairly easy to play? I just think a lot of times I'll lose a big number in a session and think I played horribly, and when I look back on the hands they were just tough spots.

I guess my game is like my normal game 90% of the time, then tilt/tiredness the other 10%.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:27 AM

that is something to consider, but i really feel like almost half of the sessions ive played, ive done something retarded due to not being sharp enough.