Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Sit \'N Go strategy-reviews?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The book is great. What is not great is people who have been determined to hate it from the minute they heard it was going to be released. No matter how good the book ended up these parasites are/ were determined to hate it. I'm talking specifically about the bunch of jerk-off's from the STT forum who felt they should have been "consulted." Honestly, I have never encountered such whiny negativity anywhere in my life. Makes me sick. I don't care how much these people know about poker, their collective character makes me nauseous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not read the book but I agree with what you said about STT's attitude about this book. It was destined to be hated by many of them. So even though many of them are very knowledgeable in the SNG strategy, their opinions on this book are really tainted IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moshman could have easily quelled the doubts by giving some recent screen names, which would have instantly given established STTF posters a chance to comment on his credibility but he declined. His secrecy bred the reactions that you've seen.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Moshman could have easily quelled the doubts by giving some recent screen names, which would have instantly given established STTF posters a chance to comment on his credibility but he declined. His secrecy bred the reactions that you've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. That is some elitist crap.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:10 AM

And how many of Ed Miller's/ David Sklansky's/ Mason Malmuth's/ Ray Zee's/ David Fromm's/ Geoff Herzog's etc etc etc PT databases or personal playing records have been provided to a bunch of nobody's on a poker forum for approval before they were "allowed" to release poker literature that meets with the forums approval? Should I dismiss what they have to say out of hand because I haven't personally seen their records or watched them play? Who the f$%K do these people think they are that someone has to check with them before they are allowed to write a poker book? Am I the only person on this forum that sees the audacity of what these creeps are saying? The gall of these idiots is honestly beyond belief.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:15 AM

Lots of negativity here, with the odd good review and compliment. I have been doing well at the $20+2 level on Party for several months (don't live in the land of the free, so ironically, I am). This book has been great for me, helping with late game strategy, bubble play, shorthanded play, and both stealing and re-stealing. I don't have enough SNG's under my belt to say with any conviction exactly how much more money I have made, but if I had to make a wild guess, I would say my ROI is 7-12% higher since reading the book. Very well worth it, and I am thrilled to have purchased it.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only person on this forum that sees the audacity of what these creeps are saying?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought books speak for themselves ... ? What's the point of writing a book if your words don't speak for themselves ?

If I'm a well-known SnG genius (verified by typing my screen name into various online dbs) who posts frequently on STT forum, and I write a book chock full of plays that are demonstrably bad ideas (breakdown using logic or simulations, etc.), is my book still credible ? Am I still credible as a poker voice ?

Over the last 3 decades, has anyone ever listened to what Sklansky has had to say solely on the basis of checking into his live play results (or even got the word on his rep from the pro poker playing community) and being impressed with what they found out ?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And how many of Ed Miller's/ David Sklansky's/ Mason Malmuth's/ Ray Zee's/ David Fromm's/ Geoff Herzog's etc etc etc PT databases or personal playing records have been provided to a bunch of nobody's on a poker forum for approval before they were "allowed" to release poker literature that meets with the forums approval?

[/ QUOTE ]

All those people you mentioned have established themselves as respected strategists before releasing a book.

Colin showed up out of nowhere and refused to provide any evidence that he is a great STTer. Then he went on to post a lot of questionable advice. All the hate forhim and the book is justified.

[ QUOTE ]
Who the f$%K do these people think they are that someone has to check with them before they are allowed to write a poker book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody has claimed that he needed to check with the SNG forum before releasing his book. Those claims weren't made until after the book was released with a number of errors in logic and questionable advice therein. The best SNG players in the world reside here on the forums and Mason and David(neither versed in SNG play) decided to accept a manuscript from a complete unknown without taking it upon themselves to verify that the advice in the book is good.

[ QUOTE ]
The gall of these idiots is honestly beyond belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think that wanting to know that the writer of a SNG book is a winning player is idiocy?

You should really check yourself. You're the one willing to just accept any strategy in printed form without questioning the ideas it presents or the qualifications of the writer.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought books speak for themselves ... ? What's the point of writing a book if your words don't speak for themselves ?

[/ QUOTE ]

They do. But a publishing company has the responsibility of making sure that any advice or how to books it publishes are credible. In this case it seems like 2+2 did not do this.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:53 AM

Call me easily influenced but I am willing to trust the judgment of DAVID SKLANSKY and MASON MALMUTH (repeat- SKLANSKY and MALMUTH ffs) on what material is and isn't worthy of being published by 2+2- Even if it hasn't been checked and approved by the "STT'ers" first.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody has claimed that he needed to check with the SNG forum before releasing his book. Those claims weren't made until after the book was released with a number of errors in logic and questionable advice therein. The best SNG players in the world reside here on the forums and Mason and David(neither versed in SNG play) decided to accept a manuscript from a complete unknown without taking it upon themselves to verify that the advice in the book is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely false. I was a regular visitor to STTF and this forum when this book was announced (months before its publication) and there was a massive outpouring of hate from many so called STTF regulars and frankly obscene levels of whining about why they weren't consulted. This hating was described at the time (by someone else whose name I can't remember) as a classic case of "not invented here syndrome" and I think that just about nails it.

I think that STTF really (collectively) emabarassed themselves with much of the reaction to this book (there are some notable exceptions - and Slim Pickens wrote a well thought out review of the book for STTF), and its pretty clear that 2+2 were perfectly correct in not seeking advice from that forum.

Collin was courageous enough to put his head above the parapets and post some interesting strategy advice on STTF and (of course) his posts were subjected to absolutely forensic scrutiny by many of the haters. IMO, most of his posts were/are interesting and useful even thought I didn't necessarily agree with some of the points.