Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes

Old 11-29-2007, 06:30 PM

Default You wake up and... remember nothing about poker

Hi, everybody!
I'm asking you for advice.

I want you to turn on your imagination and picture a situation in your mind. Ready?)

Just imagine, tomorrow you will wake up and forget almost EVERYTHING about poker. Maybe some basic skills will not leave you, but let's say tomorrow smth will happen and your skills will be enough only to a win slightly at NL25 and break even at NL50.

This was the bad news. The good news: today you can write a letter to yourself or just a list of things you should do to learn in a fast and effective way how to play a good poker.

Doing a thing for the second time is often far more efficient than if you do it for the first time.

For example, I used to play Lineage II for about 6 month and now I know what exactly I should do to increase the level of my character to one of the highest. Now I think I can manage this goal for 2 month only, but it took about 6 months when I did it for the first time- all because now I have a wider view and know what skills to improve and when.

There are many ways to gain a "high level" at poker, but not all of them are efficient. How would you organize your study if you had to increase your level once again?

For example:

1. Post 10 hands on the forum per week/every week
2. Play 10K hands a week/every week
3. Read FAQ on 2p2/when done perform #4
4. Read HOH 1,2/when done perform #5
5. Watch stocktrader's videos/when done perform #6
6. ...
7. ...
8. .....

I hope this will help many of us to increase our level and would really appreciate if you leave your thoughts here

P.S. Didn't know where to post it, decided to do it here after all. If you know a better place, please move it =)
Old 11-29-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: You wake up and... remember nothing about poker

[ QUOTE ]
Just imagine, tomorrow you will wake up and forget almost EVERYTHING about poker. Maybe some basic skills will not leave you, but let's say tomorrow smth will happen and your skills will be enough only to a win slightly at NL25 and break even at NL50.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like every day of my life.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:00 PM

hmmm pretty much

1. Read 2p2.

lol, i remember when i first played poker i knew about 2p2 but wouldnt read it coz i was too newb to know how to get out of flat mode, and flat mode is crazy retarded so i was just like [censored] this im not going to read 2p2.

Then i woke up one day and wasnt a newb, started reading the boards and my game pretty much skyrocketed.

Of course, i did have the help of coaching sites like CR and now LP but most of my improvement came from here i think.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmmm pretty much

1. Read 2p2.

lol, i remember when i first played poker i knew about 2p2 but wouldnt read it coz i was too newb to know how to get out of flat mode, and flat mode is crazy retarded so i was just like [censored] this im not going to read 2p2.

Then i woke up one day and wasnt a newb, started reading the boards and my game pretty much skyrocketed.

Of course, i did have the help of coaching sites like CR and now LP but most of my improvement came from here i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what if you had to write a note to yourself, what would you write? "Read 2p2, visit CR and LP"?
That's all?=)
I really very much want you, guys, to write what EXACTLY you should do to improve the most effectively.

Maybe you spent plenty of your time on site XXX, but it didn't really help you, but when you read a book"YYY" it increased your level very much, so if you had to learn for the second time, you would just read this book
Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 PM

oh god i'd have to get a real job
Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 PM

I'll give you credit OP, very creative "feed me/teach me poker" post. Just play alot of hands, review them, post hands that gave you trouble, study the game on 2p2 and other places, and just think about the game alot in general. Other than that your question is too broad to answer w/o typing out insane amounts of info. It just takes time.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:32 PM

serious answer:

1) if i had money, i'd go straight to a solid coach and have a lot of sessions to get me off the ground running. And I'd balance my time about 60% playing/being coached, 10% reviewing my play/posting hands, 30% studying other posts/videos/books.

2) if i had to restart my roll, i'd split my time more along the lines of 50% playing, 20% studying my own hands, 30% studying other forms of poker learning

But i'd also make sure that poker was still fun and not too important to the rest of your life for as long as possible, the sooner you see it as work, the sooner your growth as a player will slow down (unless you have a sick work ethic/motivation)
Old 11-29-2007, 07:46 PM

This is actually a pretty good post OP. I don't know that I would actually get better any faster the second time around though because so much of your improvement is just a matter of experience.

To that end I would probably just write myself a series of reminders such as:

*Focus only on your decision-making
*Review every session
*Analyse difficult hands
*Game selection
*Read/post in strategy forums
*Gain experience and have faith in your ability
Old 11-29-2007, 07:55 PM

there are better ways of phrasing a post like this so it isnt completely baseless and hypothetical, but /nit.

1.) i would post and read hands a lot on 2p2, ive been doing this for nearly 2-3 years now and it helps heaps. take some time out of your day to really read posts properly and reply to them the best of your ability, youd be surprised at how much this improves your game.

2.) play a lot, dont set any number of hands goals. just make sure you are able to concentrate on all decisions and are never autopiloting. 1hour of solid 1-2 tabling play increases future ev quite a bit, 10 hours of solid helps a bit more, 100hrs even more etc etc. we never stop improving.

3.) find out whose posts are worth reading on 2p2 and try to figure out why certain posters post the responses they do. try to analyze their games and look at the big picture of gameplan ALL THE TIME. balance balance balance balance!!!

some people say balance isnt important, theyre dumb.

4.) irc used to be good but its pretty ssnl garbage these days so i wouldnt necessarily recommend hanging out in there, talk to people on aim and stuff too.

you can get a coach but the list above is >>> getting a coach.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 PM

also always be cognizant of:

1.) your opponents hand range
2.) your own hand range
3.) the line of balance between vbets and bluffs for either range.