Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: PLO in Vegas during the WSOP---Please keep here

KSOT,

Short-stack the 2/5 until you realize it is free money. Also, chips have the wonderful affect of not seeming like real cash. A wonderful invention!
Old 06-03-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
games have already started at the rio

there was 10/25 and 2/5 tonight. rumblings in the 10/25 game about trying to move the game to wynn since it's just so much better. OMG they let us play in the high-limit pen (it feels like a pen cause there's this kinda temporary half wall thing around it and people look at you as if you were in a zoo).

also you should keep in mind when figuring what stakes you want to play that most PLO games will have mississippi straddle put on, so really 2-5 is more like 2-5-10, and 10-25 is more like 10-25-50-OLE!

but it's fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would be nice to play in Wynn instead, the Rio poker room is just too much of a zoo. But on the other hand the Rio has a constant flow of fish, if it is in the Wynn there will be less people thinking "oooh, Omaha? What's that? Let's give this a spin."
Old 06-03-2007, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
KSOT: if you are beating 1/2 online you should feel good about your chances in 5/10 for sure. I've played a fair bit of both those games and really you should be fine. Go in steps. Once it's in full swing, there should be 2/5, 5/10, 10/25, 25/50 all available basically every day/night.

Jason: np! 5/10 I havne't played any this year, but from last year... There were some people buying in 500, lots of 2-5k, and then usually 1-2 playing rather a lot. The 10/25 last night had most people around 10k, with a couple in the 40-50k range (though I would call that an exceptional circumstance). You should probably expect the 10/25 game to mostly have 5k-15k stacks I would guess.

and yes, mississippi straddle means button gets first option, if he doesn't want it then CO can straddle, etc., etc. action starts immed. left of the straddle

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played with a mississippi straddle in omaha yet, but in hold'em I think it kind of kills the action having 5/8 of the blind money in best position. I doubt the variance is much higher, and it's definitely not double.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:34 AM

I'm having alot of trouble making myself play online, so I'm thinking I'll head down mid June and try and respark my interest in poker... I'll see about getting reservations later this week. Going to bring 10k and start at 2/5, see if i can get up to 10/25 by the end of the trip. Might take a look at the small plo event too, but we'll see.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:16 PM

I'm coming down the weekend of July 13th I think and will just play 2/5. I don't think I'll need more than a grand to play properly. I might be playing a little nitty though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'll post again in this thread when I arrive and see where everyone is playing. Until then good luck y'all
Old 06-04-2007, 01:06 AM

what time of day is there the most PLO action goin on?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
KSOT: if you are beating 1/2 online you should feel good about your chances in 5/10 for sure. I've played a fair bit of both those games and really you should be fine. Go in steps. Once it's in full swing, there should be 2/5, 5/10, 10/25, 25/50 all available basically every day/night.

Jason: np! 5/10 I havne't played any this year, but from last year... There were some people buying in 500, lots of 2-5k, and then usually 1-2 playing rather a lot. The 10/25 last night had most people around 10k, with a couple in the 40-50k range (though I would call that an exceptional circumstance). You should probably expect the 10/25 game to mostly have 5k-15k stacks I would guess.

and yes, mississippi straddle means button gets first option, if he doesn't want it then CO can straddle, etc., etc. action starts immed. left of the straddle

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played with a mississippi straddle in omaha yet, but in hold'em I think it kind of kills the action having 5/8 of the blind money in best position. I doubt the variance is much higher, and it's definitely not double.

[/ QUOTE ]
the games play bigger but the variance isn't double -- to make it double, you would have to not only have a straddle but double all the stacks.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the games play bigger but the variance isn't double -- to make it double, you would have to not only have a straddle but double all the stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the game plays bigger if you have a lot of preflop raising when someone straddles, because, obviously you can raise to more. And isn't live PLO notoriously full of action, read: preflop raising?

To add even more ability to "action", when I was in the SB or BB I autoput out a full $10 when someone put on a Mississippi Straddle in the 2/5 game. The table VPIP was about 60-70 and avg pot size $200. Often the preflop raises were $40 or so, which is hard to get to without a 3 bet when there is no straddle.

Regarding the literal doubling of variance...Yes as a mean increases, the variance WILL increase under the same conditions. However, remember that variance of your winrate is a SQUARED value. Therefore, all things being played equal, I don't think doubling the blinds and stack sizes would double the variance. But this is a little statistically nitty because who cares about variance in a game where there's a guarantee that you have a positive expectation.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, remember that variance of your winrate is a SQUARED value. Therefore, all things being played equal, I don't think doubling the blinds and stack sizes would double the variance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it would, do you see why?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, remember that variance of your winrate is a SQUARED value. Therefore, all things being played equal, I don't think doubling the blinds and stack sizes would double the variance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it would, do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, explain it to me please.