Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 04:47 AM

Default Need PC Strategy game suggestions, I am a noob

A few days ago I was searching for a military game down at Best Buy for my "PC" (Intel Mac). I have RTS games but I am looking for a game that is above that in scale. I don't want to command single tanks or soldiers, I am looking to control legions with a click. A game where I can choose troop formations and such.

I did pick up Star Wars: Empire at War, hoping it would be more like the old SW: Rebellion game (I miss that game). Sadly it isn't but it is tiding me over until I can get some suggestions.

I mentioned the fact that it is an Intel Mac (laptop) because that would possibly narrow down the system requirements that I have. It is a new comp, purchased in October. Please help
Old 01-02-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Need PC Strategy game suggestions, I am a noob

Company of Heros is great for WW2 RTS action, but you are still only in control of a handful of units. However you wont control individual soldiers, squads are the base unit of control over your infantry. If its just the micromanagement of RTSs that you hate, you should check out this game.

If you are looking for something that has more epic battles, youd probably want to play Medieval 2 Total War. You control hundreds of guys in this game and it looks pretty epic. I havent played it but its gotten good reviews.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are looking for something that has more epic battles, youd probably want to play Medieval 2 Total War. You control hundreds of guys in this game and it looks pretty epic. I havent played it but its gotten good reviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is where I need to start looking, I am sure that my choice is going to either have to be a medieval or roman style game, which I don't mind.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:14 PM

Medieval II: Total War is probably what you're looking for. The Total War series wins strategy game of the year every time they release a new version.

totalwar.com
Old 01-02-2007, 08:59 PM

Dear god, somebody else who liked Rebellion. I didn't think there were any. I still play the thing occasionally.

Rome: Total War had a lot of the same feel, especially the scale. I haven't played Medieval II yet.