Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Fighting hyper-agro to your right?

Last night I was playing one of Star's $4 180's.

Now normally, when we get near the bubble, I tend to start a lot of stealing attempts, etc. Sometimes it's worked, sometimes I run into a trouble.

Last night, with ~20 left, this guy directly to my right starts min-raising every hand that gets to him unopened. Literally every hand.

I couldn't figure out how to stand up to him. I never caught a really playable hand, and had a healthy stack at the time. But I didn't' want to just watch him run over the table, and watch the blinds eat away at my stack.

A few small stacks tried to take a stand, and he showed he was very willing to come along with them with the worst of it (min-raise with J7o, and call the all-in). He got very lucky, and in a few hands we were down to 2 tables, and he was across the table from me where I could do a bit better fighting him. Ultimately, he took a huge stack through to a 1 or 2 finish. (I finished 3rd, and logged).

But the original situation was new to me. How, in a late-stage tournament with a medium stack situation, do you deal with the every-hand-min-raiser-directly-to-your-right?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Fighting hyper-agro to your right?

Call or reraise him.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:37 PM

More to the point, how do you adjust. I know he is raising with any two random cards, and that I alway have position on him. So what does that do to my range of hands for calling/raising?

In the exact situation, I never had anything with showdown value. I think my "best" hand was something like J8o. No suited connectors, no high cards, nothing. I didn't feel comfortable trying to resteal with nothing since I would be pot committed to one of the shortstacks going all-in behind us, and still had a healthy-medium stack for this stage of a tournament.

I have never faced this situation before. The whole time, I was grinding my teeth, shooting lasers at his avatar. (Literally..I had out my laser pointer [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] )
Old 03-01-2007, 01:40 PM

unfortunately if you are getting absolute garbage there is nothing you can do against this particular type of player.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:45 PM

Easier if you a short stack and can reraise him allin.

You can still call loosely and see a flop and make a loose reraise. Obviously, things can get tricky, but you just have to play poker.