Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 02:08 AM

Default Re: The Queen Bee Wins the White House: It is almost a Lock

[ QUOTE ]
Her presidency will/would depend a lot on how Congressional elections turn out. If the Republicans have control of one of the Senate and/or House we're likely to see uber gridlock IMO. If the Democrats get control of both the Senate/House she'll be able to enact more of what she wants to do. If she didn't have the husband she has, she wouldn't stand a chance of being elected.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. One key to Hillary getting the agenda she wishes to impose on all is having a congress that is in her pocket. Whatever legitimate legislation, and the fluffy stuff she has up her sleeve, she wishes to enact may be rubber-stamped by a bamboozled congress. If however not all fall in line or congress is divided a more compromising legislative agenda may be in order.

But to be more specific, would Hillary do anything to help clean up the mess of say Social Security? Or revamp the odious bureaucratic tax code? She will push hard for her pet agendas outlined in the campaign, but those almost always fail to live up to the hype no matter which politican is promoting them.

-Zeno
Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Her presidency will/would depend a lot on how Congressional elections turn out. If the Republicans have control of one of the Senate and/or House we're likely to see uber gridlock IMO. If the Democrats get control of both the Senate/House she'll be able to enact more of what she wants to do. If she didn't have the husband she has, she wouldn't stand a chance of being elected.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. One key to Hillary getting the agenda she wishes to impose on all is having a congress that is in her pocket. Whatever legitimate legislation, and the fluffy stuff she has up her sleeve, she wishes to enact may be rubber-stamped by a bamboozled congress. If however not all fall in line or congress is divided a more compromising legislative agenda may be in order.

But to be more specific, would Hillary do anything to help clean up the mess of say Social Security? Or revamp the odious bureaucratic tax code? She will push hard for her pet agendas outlined in the campaign, but those almost always fail to live up to the hype no matter which politican is promoting them.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as Social Security, I think the baby bond amended to private 401ks is actually Hillary's way to get SS reform in the back door. Social Security is the ultimate sacred cow that politicians in Congress don't want to talk about. I remember watching CSPAN in yesteryear when Mitchell was the majority leader in the Senate and he basically tricked a Republican into stating that he would change SS. After the Republican fell into the trap, Mitchell had a big smile on his face stating how he had always admired the Senators courage and it took courage to propose SS reform. The Republican Senator stated that in no way, no how (loudly at that) was he proposing any kind of change in SS. Congress doesn't want to touch it and take on SS reform directly.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 PM

Foreign policy will be better than this admin., domestic policy will be pretty bad. Some sort of universal or on-the-road-to-universal gov't healthcare, rollback of free trade, probably some tax increases for the wealthy, but little real tax reform.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:36 PM

zeno,

She has mentioned several times that her husband would act as embassador to the world...or something of that nature.

Also, the election is still a year away. A lot can and will happen from now until then.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
zeno,

Also, the election is still a year away. A lot can and will happen from now until then.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I agree with the editors of the Economist [see also a 4-page additional article in the October 6 edition, p 27-30] that it is her election to lose, and, so far, no one charismatic enough, or as well organized, or with the heaps of money needed, has shown up to really challenge this formidable woman. There is of course much negativity still associated with her but it is not insurmountable and a majority of voters are easily swayed by empty rhetoric, trite platitudes, and feel good ideas. Unless she really stumbles and falls into a hole, Hillary has a very good chance of wining.

-Zeno
Old 10-16-2007, 01:39 AM

Why do you think the conservative base won't rally behind their candidate? They were enough to get a bumbling Bush over the line the second time. The only thing I can see getting Hilary home is the female vote, and I've read (can't find the damn source) that women generally don't vote for women candidates.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think the conservative base won't rally behind their candidate? They were enough to get a bumbling Bush over the line the second time. The only thing I can see getting Hilary home is the female vote, and I've read (can't find the damn source) that women generally don't vote for women candidates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Others here are probably better versed to answer those questions but my off the cuff response is that the Conservative (Republican Party) has little chance to win the Presidency this time around, the reasons I think are obvious. Possibly the only person that could seriously challenge Hillary and salvage and energize the conservative base is Newt, but I could be wrong on that.

-Zeno
Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Women just vote for whomever is taller and more attractive.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Foreign policy will be better than this admin ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't share your optimism:
Clinton would use violence against Tehran

It boggles my mind that so many democrat voters are letting her get away with this BS.

Maybe it's because so many people base their votes on the really important issues
Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 PM

I am at a loss for why so many people are in favor of her. She is for amnesty; she will not get us out of Iraq; she gave Bush the green light against Iraq and now Iran.

The only thing I can think of, that all of those middle class people can be thinking of: lower insurance costs. If she had got what she wanted, anyone making 80k or less, would have free health insurance for their kids, paid for by those who smoke. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Shows you how much net pay means to people. Family insurance is expensive. I guess if I had 3 kids, I'd say let the illegals in, and ship someone else's kids to Iraq/Iran too.