Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Austin City Limits

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I noticed the last few Saturday nights PBS HD has been showing different bands from what I imagine was last year's festival. It looks and sounds awesome. I caught part of Trey Anastasio and his orchestra.

[/ QUOTE ]

PBS has a show titled Austin City Limits. You could have been seeing old festival footage, but it's probably the show. The show inspired the festival. This will be the festival's fifth year I think, whereas the show has been around a lot longer, like 30 years. They've done an exceptional job with both.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I follow. What is/was the show? Assorted concerts in Austin that they film?

[/ QUOTE ]

Should have explained. I was confused too because I first saw the show after I had heard of the festival. I thought the show looked like footage from an outdoor concert. It is in fact, taped in a studio but made to appear as if hillside with the cty in the background. The show doesn't look like a large outdoor music festival. If it was footage from the festival it'd have thousands of people. And it actually takes place within the city, so it doesn't have the scenic Austin backdrop.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:50 PM

That makes sense. I went to both Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza last year. Then I saw that and thought that ACL must be the smallest music festival ever.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is in fact, taped in a studio but made to appear as if hillside with the cty in the background.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that's what I saw then. I'll have to look more closely next time it's on. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:22 PM

Well this clears up my confusion. From PBS.com:

[ QUOTE ]
Setting the stage:
To this day, some people think it's taped outdoors. That is not an unreasonable supposition. There is the city skyline in the distance, with the granite dome of the Capitol glowing pink and the white limestone shaft of the University Tower. There are hanging verdant greenery, and the suggestion of stars overhead. All of it is meant to conjure up an idyllic outdoor venue deep in the heart of Texas, under a Lone Star moon.

[/ QUOTE ]

but

[ QUOTE ]
Jam band icon Trey Anastasio, former frontman of Phish, goes solo for a performance taped live from the Austin City Limits Music Festival, one of the biggest outdoor music events in the country. With his skillful improvisation, Anastasio performs pieces from his first solo release for thousands of mesmerized fans.
Recorded: 09/18/2004

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-26-2006, 01:45 PM

there is Austin City Limits which is the tv show. then there is Austin City Limits Festival (ACL Fest) what youre referring to. just to make a distinction theyre two completely different things. some posters dont realize this.

Austin City Limits is the tv show filmed in the studio that looks like it has the city sky line in the background and has been running for 15+ years. one band plays. ACL Fest is a 3 day outdoor event that is in its 3-4 year and has hundreds of bands playing in the same park.

that being said, im going to ACL fest but missed the $35 pass. i am signed up for the email but was traveling and could only check email periodically. i checked it about 8 hours after it went out and they were all gone. i may go only one day now (as i did last year)

bwana

edit: now i see someone else explained it but i already wrote the post so its staying.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that being said, im going to ACL fest but missed the $35 pass. i am signed up for the email but was traveling and could only check email periodically. i checked it about 8 hours after it went out and they were all gone. i may go only one day now (as i did last year)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the $35 tickets went fairly instantly. By the time I got the email they were gone. Fortunately my workplace employs a lot of recent college grads who do a good job of watching for stuff like this and making sure that everybody around them knows about it.

Next year I'll make sure to post it here if I get my $35 tickets.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:45 PM

As a Austin resident, ACL festival has been a huge success. It is a 3 day festival that goes on in the largest city park, Zilker park. There is about 5-6 different stages all across the park, general admission, and it is a long 3 day music festival. All the info is at www.aclfestival.com

If you really want to go to ACL here are some good tips.
1. Buy your 3 day ticket passes now. They will sell out very soon ($90 tier 1, $100 tier2 passes already sold out)
2. They plan this when UTexas has a non football game this week. All the hotels will fill up fast for the festival.
3. It is a great festival, mainly because Austin is a great city to visit. You will see hundreds of acts
4. Be advised, just because its september, it will still be freaking hot. This is Texas. Past 2 years, it was clear sky, mid 90's all day, dusty and just severaly hot. So you need realize you'll see a lot of bands, but it is crowded and is hot all day long.

Its a long festival, but you can see a lot of bands, and it seems to get bigger/better each year.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a Austin resident, ACL festival has been a huge success. It is a 3 day festival that goes on in the largest city park, Zilker park. There is about 5-6 different stages all across the park, general admission, and it is a long 3 day music festival. All the info is at www.aclfestival.com

If you really want to go to ACL here are some good tips.
1. Buy your 3 day ticket passes now. They will sell out very soon ($90 tier 1, $100 tier2 passes already sold out)
2. They plan this when UTexas has a non football game this week. All the hotels will fill up fast for the festival.
3. It is a great festival, mainly because Austin is a great city to visit. You will see hundreds of acts
4. Be advised, just because its september, it will still be freaking hot. This is Texas. Past 2 years, it was clear sky, mid 100's all day, dusty and just severaly hot. So you need realize you'll see a lot of bands, but it is crowded and is hot all day long.

Its a long festival, but you can see a lot of bands, and it seems to get bigger/better each year.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're coming, drink lots of liquids and sunscreen/hat etc. It's a great time.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:33 PM

The lineup was mostly leaked here:
Dallas Observer Blog
And will be fully available here tomorrow:
Official ACL Page
Looks pretty good to me.

I think some of the other festivals this summer have better/bigger headliners, but all in all this will be a great weekend.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:07 PM

The official lineup is now posted on the website.