Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Wii - Big Three Look to EXCEED Expectations

I agree with what you are saying, I am just hoping they actually do release all 3 this time. I think it would be huge for them.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 AM

i know it's possible, but i just don't see it; we know metroid comes out next month, so that's a definite

and now mario/smash have release dates from e3, i'm 99% sure they'll keep it; smash has had daily updates to its website for over a month now; i don't see them doing some 5-month-long countdown just to say 'sike' this fall
Old 07-25-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like The Bigs at all. The pitching is ok, the fielding/throwing is not very good, and the hitting is flat-out awful, with there being a very noticeable swing lag.

[/ QUOTE ]

no clue what you're talking about. there is zero swing lag for me and fielding and throwing is simple.

i'm lovin the bigs, it's a fun arcade style baseball game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked it up yesterday and couldn't agree less.

Swing lag is pretty bad. I started out in home run derby and fanned probably the first 8 pitches or something. The timing is bad. I guess I'll adjust if I play enough but I'm not sure if I will.

Fielding itself is ok but takes some getting used to. There seems to be far less give than most baseball games that use the d-pad or maybe it's just that the nunchuk is more sensitive. Either way I missed a few easy fly balls because my fielder moved a touch off of the norm.

Throwing isn't good at all. At some point in my game I stopped trying to be strategic (I was getting crushed anyway) and just tried to get the outfielders to throw to third instead of second. I got to the point where I could do it a little over half the time.

Pitching was probably the most frustrating thing of all. Since this hasn't been mentioned my technique must suck or something because it took forever to get anything to register on the pitch meter. I'm still not quite sure what I'm supposed to do to get a pitch off every time. I tilt it up and then down or down and then up and got to where it worked most of the time. And that's just throwing a pitch. I was twisting to the point where my wrist hurt and probably got the curve or whatever off 10-20% of the time. When I rotated the remote before doing the tilt thing it never started the meter going so I couldn't pitch.

I have thoroughly read the instructions and still don't really get the throwing or pitching. When I first opened the book before I had played it (had to wait for the tv) the instructions made it seem really easy like it was nothing. I've found them to be nonintuitive and very difficult. This is especially bad since this game especially could have been awesome to play with a friend and none of my friends own a Wii which means they'll never get over the learning curve enough to make it worthwhile for me.

I was playing on Easy. I assumed with this that I would absolutely destroy the computer. I'm not a fantastic video game player but like anybody halfway decent I will murder the computer at the easier difficulty levels in basically any sports game. For comparision, on the Wii Sports baseball game I think my rating is 1800-1900 or so. I beat Sakura probably around 3/4 of the time. As I said above at some point pretty early I wasn't trying my hardest to win but figure out how the hell to get it working. With all of that I ended up being behind 14-0 or something. I got some base runners but struck out too often to get anything going. On the pitching end because the other pitches didn't work I wore out the two straight down pitches and then had nothing left. Because I had so much trouble throwing to first pretty much the only way I got people out was the strikeout, which since I threw mainly meatballs was rare and probably an Easy difficulty gift every time.

I don't recall having ever been so frustrated playing a video game before due to fighting the controls. Is there some cool trick I don't know about that makes the game playable?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't play the second one (heard it wasn't as good), but the first Metroid Prime was ridiculously incredibly great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. But I'll definitely be getting all three of these titles.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:54 AM

With Metroid coming out in August, Super Mario Galaxy coming out in November and Super Smash Bros: Brawl coming out in December, I don't know if we can consider that "being released together."

SSB:B was delayed from last years HOLIDAY launch, they've been releasing a ton of screens constantly. I will prop bet on that coming out on December 3rd. They have to be confident with that date, because a week after that and their holiday sales would start to plummit. That makes me think they are positive with that date.

Super Mario Galaxy looked very close to completion from the E3 videos/screens I saw.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:13 AM

"Swing lag" is a bad term for it, you just have limited reaction time. Since everyone is used to Wii Sports it's hard to get used to it.

You can throw with the D-Pad. That's about as easy as it gets.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:34 PM

The pre-order for Super mario galaxy is already ranked as the #15 best-selling video game item at amazon.com. Pretty amazing if you ask me, considering the release date is not even until mid-November.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:14 PM

check out latest updates on smashbros.com (updated every weekday)

for the first time ever, smash bros includes a 'robust side-scrolling action game'!!

i imagine there will be at least one level per character, and u'll get to use that character's unique fighting moves during them; hopefully they'll release more details soon

Old 08-04-2007, 10:45 PM

wtf? those Smash Brother's shots look insane
Old 08-10-2007, 03:18 PM

Metroid Prime 3 looks worse than a Gamecube game. Unless the reviews are stellar I'm gonna pass.