FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which RB to start?
Julius Jones @ Was 0 0%
Fred Taylor vs. Ten 2 100.00%
Wali Lundy @ NYG 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: This forum needs a makeover

Traffic seems way too low to bother with that.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Traffic seems way too low to bother with that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-19-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
b00t, I think each game should have it's own thread. I don't feel strongly about baseball however. I don't want to read a 300-post thread looking for insight on Eagles v Cowboys however, if 90% of it is on Colts v Pats, for example.

Poker Strat forums work that way as well.

We just need to start locking and deleting useless posts.
Posts about sports but not betting should be moved to that forum.
Donk parlays go to that thread, as does chatter.
Arbs go in arb thread.

Problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]

B00t, I'm starting to come around. Not convinced yet, perhaps because for CBB there is 1100 games a week or more and the thread would be unwieldy.

For NFL, it's possible. I'm giving ground here.

The main key would be to get people to understand the diff btw sporting events and this forum. If some 0.01/.02 limit player started posting in the high-stakes STT forum, they'd tell him to go to right forum, then mock, move, delete, and then ban that poster eventually after > a few times.

People read TSG and their local paper and think they've discovered an 'angle' about how the Jets win in odd months on even days vs NFC North teams with a losing record on turf. Or just are huge homers and OMG Mets are best evah!b
Old 09-20-2007, 12:04 AM

I see three problems, two of which are simple:

The easy ones are donk parlays and locks getting posted in the wrong place and no-content flaming. Aggressively delete and ban for repeat offenses. If people who will never belong in the forum get a 2-day vacation and never come back, it's a good result. If people who could belong learn to behave, it's a good result. If people who would belong, but never learn to behave get a long vacation, it's a good result.

I don't know what to do with the SE-esque posts that are basically "Colts rule, they'll win" translated to the SB forum as "Colts rule, they'll cover 7". They don't belong, but it's hard to have a minimum standard of analysis for an acceptable post, plus asking why a line is set the way it is is zero informational content, but appropriate.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see three problems, two of which are simple:

The easy ones are donk parlays and locks getting posted in the wrong place and no-content flaming. Aggressively delete and ban for repeat offenses. If people who will never belong in the forum get a 2-day vacation and never come back, it's a good result. If people who could belong learn to behave, it's a good result. If people who would belong, but never learn to behave get a long vacation, it's a good result.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. It shouldn't all fall on Perf's ears, however. People really do come outta nowhere come Football season.
[ QUOTE ]

I don't know what to do with the SE-esque posts that are basically "Colts rule, they'll win" translated to the SB forum as "Colts rule, they'll cover 7". They don't belong, but it's hard to have a minimum standard of analysis for an acceptable post, plus asking why a line is set the way it is is zero informational content, but appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) New posters must make some attempt at analysis. Their efforts, even if n00bs, will lead everyone to the right response.

2) I got no problem with anyone asking why is the Bills line 17. Why was the Troy line -7.5? Why did the GaT v ND line move from +9 to -3? This creates discussion and everyone learns.

Obvs asking that about all 16 games is trollish, but people don't generally do that.

Maybe we should all agree to use stock images and phrases to reply to the same dumb, repetitive posts:

simpsons Lock of the week pic. / Shoe-in pic.

[ x ] Vegas is giving away FREE MONEY this week!

Wayne Allan Root pics, whatever. Spam pics. I think if everyone used the first 3, everyone would get the idea.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:24 AM

Old 09-25-2007, 01:48 AM

I'd definitely be in favor of daily pick thread for football

Thursday--Friday---Saturday for NCAAF
Sunday--Monday for NFL
Old 09-25-2007, 02:24 AM

I read the OP and the last post and a few in between. I have lurked these boards for a couple years and the Sports Betting section should be redone. It's not just a matter of threads for sports, it should be organized into multiple boards. Sports Betting shouldn't be listed under General Gambling as 1 board. Sports Betting should have a few subcategories under it:

Sports Bettings
-Football
-Basketball
-Baseball
-Other (UFC, Boxing, Soccer, etc)
-Daily Picks (All Sports)

This is the basic idea. You can divide each of those categories further if you want. ie - NBA/NCAA as sub categories to Basketball.

Having a separate board for picks will get rid of a lot of clutter and you will see more information and discussion. I'm not saying that people can't pick games, but that kind of stuff gets in the way when you are just looking for good information. This way, if you want to follow a certain person you can find all their picks quicker in the appropriate forum. It's better for everyone that way. You can't just click on those threads and find information without sorting through tons of units and roi % jargon, not to mention the bragging/trolling. If people want to do that stuff, 2+2 should just host it like a myspace page because that's what it is basically.

I don't get why poker is broken down into a million different boards and sub boards, but Sports Betting is 1 board. There are so many different types of bets, I could see an ATS, moneyline, totals, exotics, props, whatever sub board for each sport if you wanted to do it that way. Doing it this way just clutters things too much, makes it harder to find what you want, makes it harder to learn, and makers it more likely that users are just getting and giving sport information from other boards on the Internet that are more organized.

There are plenty of intelligent posters around here who would contribute much more sports betting insight if the organization were better, but for the most part you click the link see the first page is full of clutter and just move on. For the most part people don't have the time to sort through page 2,3,4 just to find a topic that interests them because they know that it's going to get buried in 20 minutes anyways by all the new posts ranging from So & So's Hot Picks to UFC 2387 to 4 team WNBA parlays.

Imagine if each week you can just click on Football over on the left panel and up pops a page with each game that week listed and each thread is the latest news, information & analysis, not individual picks from people you've never heard of. Maybe a link within the forum to go back to the list of Week 3 games. And moderate the threads so Johnny Punchclock isn't posting BEARS RULE!!! everywhere. That way people will learn just because they read a thread they don't have to post unless they add an idea or value to it.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sports Betting should have a few subcategories under it:

Sports Bettings
-General discussion (includes other sports)
-Football
-Basketball
-Baseball
-Daily Picks (All Sports)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good to me.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 AM

I always appreciate the feedback, but personally I think you're significantly overstating things.

Most forums here on 2p2 are much higher traffic with higher daily post counts, and they're not segmented anywhere near the level you're talking about. The segmentation you're talking about might make sense for a high-traffic sports betting only forum, or if we had 10x the traffic or 5x the posts. But right now, I really think you're overstating a lot. Most of the segmented poker boards get 3x - 5x the posts per day that we do and some get significantly more. The forums here are as segmented as they have to be. we're not anywhere near the traffic level where we'd need to segment the forum.

You may need to change your forum settings. With the forum set at 30 parent posts per page and 99 posts per page in flat mode, this forum gets about one full page of active posts a day during its busiest season (now, during the NFL). many days, less than a full page. Things are a bit crazier during peak activities (superbowl, NCAA tourney) but in general there aren't that many posts here that its hard to keep up with.

We conducted a poll of the forum to vote on B00T's proposal of moving to individual threads per event and the majority was not in favor of that move. I can't imagine we'd get forum consensus to move to individual forums per sport when we don't have people wanting to change to a thread per sport.

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of intelligent posters around here who would contribute much more sports betting insight if the organization were better, but for the most part you click the link see the first page is full of clutter and just move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I especially don't buy this. There aren't hordes of people waiting in the wings to make interesting and insightful posts but who aren't based on the forum software or setup. Good information floats its way to the top of any board here, and boards here with significantly more traffic don't have this problem.

[ QUOTE ]
And moderate the threads so Johnny Punchclock isn't posting BEARS RULE!!! everywhere. That way people will learn just because they read a thread they don't have to post unless they add an idea or value to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Threads are moderated today. People aren't currently posting "BEARS RULE!!!" everywhere and I'd challenge you to point to a glut of these types of "Sporting Events" flavored posts (obviously outside the Chatter thread where anything goes).

This board is moderated from a philosophical perspective in that it's most heavily policed by the userbase. There is a "notify moderator" button on every post on this site. If you -- or anyone else -- finds a post that they think needs to be moderated in any way, you need to click on that button and file a report. The community sets the standards for what types of posts are allowed and which are not. The moderator notifications are the major tool for the community to police itself. And I especially pay close attention to moderator notifications which come from established, respected posters. People like Homer or Lori or Dank or MT2R or Bob or (whoever I'm leaving out) don't have to be a moderator to mod the board -- someone like that hits "notify mod" and I see the name and take immediate action almost always.

===

But as always with all that said, I'm very interested to see what everyone else thinks. I'm always interested in discussing ways to make this place better, and regardless with the fact that I disagree with your opinion, I greatly appreciate that you've made an effort to bring it up and hope you'll continue to participate in the forum. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-P