Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Backpacking in WY / Gear List

[ QUOTE ]
I would nix the duct tape unless you have a roll that is almost used up. Too heavy.

I would also nix the tent and bring a tarp instead. Again, a tent is freakin heavy and you don't need one this time of year. Also no need to bring rain gear. You will get so sweaty once you put on the rain gear that it won't make any difference. Nix the hiking boots and wear a nice pair of trail running shoes. Addidas makes good ones.

Basically you want to travel as light as possible. Every pound counts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll go ahead and say that this advice is pretty bad.

tarp camping is fun, but if you're going for a week there's a good chance you'll run into bad weather. the type of tent you'll need depends on your group and trip. bottom line though, tarps just don't provide enough wind protection, and unless you wanna go searching for a high ground to set up a tarp on, they don't have enough water runoff protection either.

no rain gear? wtf?

and you need hiking boots. you don't want to risk rolling your ankle, which is much tougher to do in boots. trail running shoes are all right for trail running, because when you sprain you ankle from running, you can usually limp to get help. in the backcountry, spraining an ankle will ruin your--and everybody else's--trip.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just gonna pretend I'm talking to a complete noob, you probably know your [censored] but extra stuff can't hurt.

Group
[O] Scrub pad - wtf? what are you gonna be eating?
I cut off like 1/4th of a brillo pad for cleaning cookware
[O] Hiking poles - is for babies! however they can be really helpful on downhills.
I was of the same conviction. Until I blew out my knee on a an 8day 20mile/day hike. My buddy letting me use his hiking poles was the only thing that made getting out possible
[O] Gloves - for what?
Many times I have regretted not bringing these, that's why it's optional. I've had to set up camp in the snow a few times unexpectedly
a big thing you didn't mention is TRASH BAGS. they have multiple uses, and if you don't clean up after yourself, you will be a big pain in the ass for everyone after you. you can also use plastic shopping bags for wrappers and such.
I usually use the food bags for this. This is the kind of thing I'm looking to add to the list though. I'm a big proponent of LNT (Leave No Trace

another optional one is a camera. you'll be glad you took it.
Again, good call on getting this on the list

a wool hat would probably come in handy if you're gonna be on exposed ridges/peaks for any amount of time.
ditto

just curious--what kind of trip is it? are you peak-bagging, or what? what kind of weather are you expecting?
30's-80's. There's been no rain, but dry lightning stroms, so it's entirely possible. I haven't checked elevations but I think a lot of it is 10,000+

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate all the gear suggestions. I may check out that knife. As is I'm a gear whore and am pretty well stocked.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet! I have no idea what kind of weather to expect in the area you're hiking in but it sounds like fun. how many miles?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sweet! I have no idea what kind of weather to expect in the area you're hiking in but it sounds like fun. how many miles?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking about 35-40 miles with some day hikes on the side. I'm going with my girlfriend who didn't fully appreciate the 14er bagging expedition in CO last year as her first backpacking trip. The terrain/weather was worse than expected. Although she had fun last year, this should be more enjoyable and give her the proper 1st backpacking experience she didn't get last time. I think most stories you hear about someone's first time usually involve being in over one's head.
We're also meeting up with a roommate from college and friend from highschool. Should be an awesome time.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would nix the duct tape unless you have a roll that is almost used up. Too heavy.

I would also nix the tent and bring a tarp instead. Again, a tent is freakin heavy and you don't need one this time of year. Also no need to bring rain gear. You will get so sweaty once you put on the rain gear that it won't make any difference. Nix the hiking boots and wear a nice pair of trail running shoes. Addidas makes good ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you read "Beyond Backpacking: Ray Jardines Guide to Lightweight Hiking".

Jardine is an extreme proponent of ultra-lightweight backpacking and he seems to be the source of most of the tarp instead of tent, trail runners instead of boots, ideology. Some of his ideas are too extreme for me, but his book is worth a read.

Jardine's Webpage
Old 08-24-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking about 35-40 miles with some day hikes on the side. I'm going with my girlfriend who didn't fully appreciate the 14er bagging expedition in CO last year as her first backpacking trip. The terrain/weather was worse than expected. Although she had fun last year, this should be more enjoyable and give her the proper 1st backpacking experience she didn't get last time. I think most stories you hear about someone's first time usually involve being in over one's head.
We're also meeting up with a roommate from college and friend from highschool. Should be an awesome time.

[/ QUOTE ]
sounds like if you take a few days there'll be no problem. the fact that she wants to come back to it after a traumatising first experience is pretty encouraging! hope you get a chance to do some exciting stuff.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you read "Beyond Backpacking: Ray Jardines Guide to Lightweight Hiking".

Jardine is an extreme proponent of ultra-lightweight backpacking and he seems to be the source of most of the tarp instead of tent, trail runners instead of boots, ideology. Some of his ideas are too extreme for me, but his book is worth a read.

Jardine's Webpage

[/ QUOTE ]
I like to go as light weight as possible. I think ultra light backpacking is a great idea. And it's self perpetuating too: less gear leads to less weight, which leads to smaller packs, which means even less weight, which in turn can mean lightweight footwear, yadda yadda. This works great for places like the Appalachain Trail, but there's certain terrain/trips where you just can't get away with it. 7 days of food alone is probably enough to necessitate boots at high altitude/ rough terrain.

Slight change of subject-
Any good food recommendations? I usually stick to granola and oatmeal for breakfast and that gets repetitive. I think someone mentioned bagels. That's a good idea.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:46 PM

Saw this in a magazine:

Light My Fire Spork
I usually bring just a fork. I would buy this it would have gotten here by tomorrow.

From the website:
[ QUOTE ]
Extremly durable - doubles as a tent stake, catapult, and LNT poop trowel (dual use in the latter function at your own risk)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-24-2006, 05:06 PM

savage - never heard of that guy or read his book. I'm just going on my own experience.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bad advice unless you are planning on hiking long distances every day and aren't used to carrying weight. But definately take rain gear. It doesn't weigh much and is a necessity.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:14 PM

Here is my list:

Summer Backpacking Gear Checklist

Personal Gear: Patrol Gear:
_____ Compass and map _____ Tent
_____ Flashlight or headlamp (best) _____ Ground cloth
with spare batteries & bulb _____ Food
_____ Extra food (Power bars, trail mix)
_____ Sunglasses, sunscreen _____ Stove
_____ Small first aid kit with moleskin, _____ Fuel
band aids, painkillers, decongestant _____ Cookset
_____ Duct tape _____ Frypan (depending on menu)
_____ Pocket knife (folding) _____ Dining tarp (optional)
_____ Matches in waterproof container _____ Bear bag
_____ Firestarter or candle _____ 50 ft. cord
_____ Backpacking boots (waterproof) _____ Water filter, cube
_____ 2 pair hiking socks (wool or synthetic) _____ Garbage bags
_____ 2 pair liner socks (synthetic) _____ Latrine trowel
_____ T-shirt or short sleeve shirt _____ Sponge and dish soap
_____ Hiking shorts
_____ Long underwear (top & bottom)
_____ Fleece or Wool Sweater Optional personal gear:
_____ Lightweight long pants _____ Camera
_____ Rain gear (pants, hooded jacket) _____ Pencil and notepad
_____ Sun protection hat _____ Paperback book