Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 11:07 AM

Default Re: The Grim Reality of Israeli Terrorism

[ QUOTE ]
When all else fails, fall back on the old "two wrongs make a right argument."

[/ QUOTE ]

Or better yet, the everyone's right but the Jews argument? Or all-Arab, all-day argument?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So as a national defending itself against terrorists you would suggest what exactly? A nice game of checkers perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're so right. When a border post is raided, all bets are off. It's all-out war, so anything up to and including nuking Beirut must be justified.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The "Kennedy School of Government" made me chuckle. Must have an open bar.

Anyhow, both sides have opportunities to lessen civilian casualties. What do the Hizzies do to lessen civilian casualties again? Zip.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the main focus of international debate is the "proportionality" of the Israeli response, Hizbollah's disregard for Israeli civilians is certainly relevant, as abhorrent as even-handed debate is to you.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:12 AM

Nicky, the problem for many civilians is fleeing the area is not a solution.

Imagine if right now you, Nicky, were told to leave your house in LA or Chicago or wherever you live. And that your house had a 50+% chance of being blown to pieces by a foreign country. I'd imagine your anger level would be pretty high and your life situation would be awful, especially since the foreign government will not compensate you for your house or lost wages.

In fact, I'd imagine your thought process would go like this: "Who gave that foregn country the right to take MY house that I worked [insert job, hours per week, # of years] to buy/build? It is MY house. Not yours. You have no right to take it."

I'd imagine if many of the hawks here faced such a situation, they'd lose their zeal for this invasion. Or would they say, as they do on this forum, "I deserved it for living in a city with a political party that opposes Israel"?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The "Kennedy School of Government" made me chuckle. Must have an open bar.

Anyhow, both sides have opportunities to lessen civilian casualties. What do the Hizzies do to lessen civilian casualties again? Zip.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the main focus of international debate is the "proportionality" of the Israeli response, Hizbollah's disregard for Israeli civilians is certainly relevant, as abhorrent as even-handed debate is to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you seriously think the principle of proportionality allows disregard for civilian life on the other side if the other side shows disregard for civilian life on yours?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Or would they say, as they do on this forum, "I deserved it for living in a city with a political party that refused to patrol/enforce it's own borders, allows a terrorist organization to operate within, and conduct kidnapping raids on Israel without doing anything about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Or would they say, as they do on this forum, "I deserved it for living in a city with a political party that refused to patrol/enforce it's own borders, allows a terrorist organization to operate within, and conduct kidnapping raids on Israel without doing anything about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

So, would you say you deserved it? Imagine you live in LA. Political party with militia lives in LA and does what Hesbollah does, but against Mexico. Mexico drops leaflets saying it is going to destroy your house and force you to flee to another country (all with no compensation).

You would support Mexico, right?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So as a national defending itself against terrorists you would suggest what exactly? A nice game of checkers perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're so right. When a border post is raided, all bets are off. It's all-out war, so anything up to and including nuking Beirut must be justified.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least you're being rational and not exaggerating anything. I find it difficult to believe you really think this is just about a border post being raided. This is a war, and one that goes beyond conventions of Country A attacking Country B. Nuking Beirut? I seem to have missed that news report. If you're going to make a point, at least make it factual and without relying on Fox News type of hyperbole. I'm still waiting for your source that Israeli's have killed "70 times" more people. I will find the source that does indeed indicate that Muslim terrorists in the Middle East are responsible for more Arab fatalaties than Israelis.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:35 AM

I didn't say thatanyone had nuked Beirut. You implied that I thought Israel should take no action at all ("a game of chess"), which is obviously not hwat has happened or what I'm calling for and is equally a distortion. I responded sarcastically that your position was effectively anything goes. You may not believe that but the point is this escalation into full scale war and the damage being done is out of all proportion to what sparked this off.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still waiting for your source that Israeli's have killed "70 times" more people.

[/ QUOTE ]

70 times more Lebanse civilians than Hizb Allah fighters, from figures published in today's Guardian (based on fighting up to yesterday). Check it: 4 Hizb Allah fighters killed, 290 civilians (and a couple of dozen Lebanese soldiers sleeping in their barracks). Today the Israeli army is claiming 20 or a few dozen Hizb Allah fighters killed; even if we take that at face value, that's still between five and ten times more civilians than fighters.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:38 AM

Fair enough. But that statistic is pretty much meaningless knowing full well that both sides indeed under/over state fatalaties in accordance with their own agenda.

And how about showing the other side? How many the ratio of Israeli civilians killed by terrorists vs. soldiers killed?
Closed Thread