Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 PM

Default 5/10 limit trip at Foxwoods, like advice on preparing

Next week I am going with a friend to Foxwoods for the first time. We are going to be trying our hands at 5/10 limit for the first time. I want to be as ready possible for this trip since it's two days of poker and this will be the first time I have played at that level. What do you guys suggest to get my mind and spirit ready for the game?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Re: 5/10 limit trip at Foxwoods, like advice on preparing

Read, reread, and rereread SSH.

Read and post here.

Go hungover (seriously.) I've played some of my best poker hung over as hell.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:28 PM

(re-)Read the hand quizzes in Small Stakes Hold Em. If the game is playing too tight for hours (there are usu. 1-2 tables of 5/10), move to 4/8 land. Plan break times and stick to them. Get adequate sleep unless the game is sick good. Exercise and eat healthy. Yadda yadda.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 PM

I finished SSHE today but like most other poker books I feel the need to read it again, yah! Anyone know how the kill button effects the play of the players?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I finished SSHE today but like most other poker books I feel the need to read it again, yah! Anyone know how the kill button effects the play of the players?

[/ QUOTE ]

The players define themselves by how they react to the kill. Rocks hate it and will only play premium hands on a kill round. A solid tell is if they limp in for 5 and then take it back when someone reminds them that it is a kill hand.

LAGs love it. If you see someone who always seems to be in the pot when it is a kill hand, then you know you are dealing with an action man.

depending on what kind of table you find, the game can be drastically different. The difference between the daytime regulars and the late night players is like night and day.

To prepare your mind and body for it; I suggest burning some money and saying "I'll make it back eventually."
Old 10-18-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To prepare your mind and body for it; I suggest burning some money and saying "I'll make it back eventually."

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL

True at any limit though...
Old 10-18-2007, 01:42 PM

4/8 games used to be jucier than 5/10 (this is back in 2003-4 when I played there regularly)...Diana Ross Fan's advice re. kill play is pretty accurate...and, as usual most places, weekdays much rockier than week-end nites
Old 10-18-2007, 03:07 PM

Identify the loose, passive, calling station players quickly; this will comprise the majority of yr opponents. Do not try to bluff them. Value bet them at every opportunity.

With the nuts/close to nuts stuff the pot. Also, on hands that are clear favorites, stuff the pot. There is no need to slow play or be deceptive; whereas in higher games you may give yr hand away/kill action, there is almost no chance of that in this game. People will draw to fewer than 5 outs liberally.

There are some rocks in this game occasionally. As DiRossFan said it is time-of-day dependent for their quantity and quality. A turn-raise from them usually means you are drawing dead.

You will see some truly horrible play. Some players will have astoundingly wide hand ranges that do not account at all for position.

It is a really good game. I would suggest treating as if it were 7/15 psychologically since (at least when I played it) it usually was half kill on average. Of course, if you get a wild table it could be kill after kill.... Have fun, some of the regulars are nice people. Do not worry about results, just make the wisest decisions at all times. good luck.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4/8 games used to be jucier than 5/10 (this is back in 2003-4 when I played there regularly)...Diana Ross Fan's advice re. kill play is pretty accurate...and, as usual most places, weekdays much rockier than week-end nites

[/ QUOTE ]

Lately this has still been true.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:59 AM

i disagree that kill game is the juiciest game in the Northeast save the 10-20 at the Borg