Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Is this a string bet?

[ QUOTE ]

True, but by the same token if you are bluffing the turn and the dealer doesn't call it you don't want to make a stink yourself and reveal how weak you are if you wanted to throw another bluff out on the river, so having the dealer enforce the rules would be helpful in this case no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you are saying. If I'm bluffing the turn I'm betting. And if I don't want to be called on a string bet I won't string bet.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:54 PM

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I was playing at the Beau in Biloxi a couple of days ago. Nice lady on my right said "raise" (LHE game), then pushed her chips with two hands but not exactly at the same time. (She sort of "bobbled" the chips that were in her non-dominant hand.) The dealer- and only the dealer- told her that was a string bet and that she could only call. I wasn't in the hand and told him that she clearly said "raise" before comitting her chips to the pot. He never addressed her saying "raise", only that her chips went into the pot in "two motions." She briefly objected, but was too nice to debate the point and pulled the raise back. None of the other players questioned the dealer's ruling, nor did they object to her raise by calling it a string bet.

Any comments?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dealer's an idiot and/or control freak.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

True, but by the same token if you are bluffing the turn and the dealer doesn't call it you don't want to make a stink yourself and reveal how weak you are if you wanted to throw another bluff out on the river, so having the dealer enforce the rules would be helpful in this case no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you are saying. If I'm bluffing the turn I'm betting. And if I don't want to be called on a string bet I won't string bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he's saying is that you bet as a bluff, and your opponent string raises. If you call him on it it's an indication that you are weak, which will interfere with your ability to make a follow-up bluff on the river. If you don't you have to deal with this raise now, which you'd rather not. So it's to your advantage for a neutral party to call it.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:42 AM

Yes it sounds like a string bet to me