Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 12:46 AM

Default First time at a \"nice\" course

Hi all,

I am just recently getting into the game of golf. I have what I'm sure is a crappy swing, I use an older set of used clubs (Yamaha Accurace irons/pw/sw/135wood) with some cheapo driver (Hippo Attacker), use a crappy ball, and I do not use a glove or golf shoes. I may substitute in 21* and 24* hybrids but I have not had any practice with them yet.

I have played the 9-hole par 27 muni in my town 3 times, shooting a 54 (before becoming semi-serious-but-not-really about practicing), and 42 twice (after said practice). I have had three pars there, and many penalty related stroke limit quad-bogeys. The longest hole on the course is 218 yards, which only allows me to use my driver that one time. I am horrible with fairway woods and barely take them out at the driving range, let alone play with them.

Anywho, on Wednesday I will be playing at the Oak Lane Country Club in Woodbridge, CT. From the white tees it has a 71.6/127 rating. I will have a late tee time, somewhere between 4-4:30pm, and will not have a cart. I will try to play the full 18, 6330yds, but the sunlight and my partner will determine that as I am his guest. We will be guaranteed the front 9 however, par-36 over 3125yds.

So with this limited information, go ahead and guess my front back and total scores. I have $1.10 or so left on pokerstars to distribute to the winners, or something.

P.S. I lied about this being the first time playing at Oak Lane. I actually played the front 9 last week but my partner and I played so terribly that we didn't even keep score. This time I definitely will.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:50 AM

Default Re: First time at a \"nice\" course

if you count every shot i would guess around 120.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:54 AM

I will play all my strokes as legitimately as I can (I am not familiar with every rule, i.e. embedded ball and the like).

In the case of a lost ball (which will likely happen much more than once), should I play a provisional one that I may very well lose as well? Or should I take a drop and a stroke in the area I saw it leave play, being sure not to go any closer? Remember speed is a factor since I will be on foot, and club members will be on carts behind me. I would hate to hold them up searching for a ball on a course I probably shouldn't even be at.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:17 AM

If you have a likely lost ball, retee under normal circumstances. If you feel like you are holding up play, then go ahead and drop up further on the hole.

Just keep 3 things in mind.

1. Repair any damage to the course (divots or ballmarks)
2. Don't hold up play
3. Enjoy the experience
Old 07-24-2007, 01:36 AM

1. Absolutely. I am very mindful of the work that goes into course maintenance and the expectations of the other players. It also helps that the person I am playing with works on the grounds crew there and can fix anything disastrous the next day, but I frequently hit my irons thin and probably only make divots 30-40% of the time because of this.

2. Playing on foot at a cart course is frustrating but we always let anyone held up behind us play through.

3. I'm at the point in my "career" where any time I'm on the course I'm having fun, unless I REALLY get off to a horrible start. But there is always a point (whether its my third stroke or 33rd) where one solid swing puts me in a great mood the rest of the day, and my subsequent play benefits.

Thanks for the pointers!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 AM

Isn't that a private course? If so, how'd you get on?
Can you get me & BadBoyBenny out there??? We'll bring Acoustix as well so you have someone your own ability in the foursome...
Old 07-24-2007, 01:19 PM

dcasper,

I am able to play because the other guy I am going with works on the grounds crew. He is allowed to golf for free and bring one guest, on certain days after 4pm.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:22 PM

All,

I will be playing Oak Lane on Thursday now instead of Wednesday.

However this afternoon I will be playing the Sleeping Giant GC in Hamden, CT. It is a 9hole par-35, 2671yds, 32.7/99 rating. I have never played there before.

Tomorrow I will play the 9hole muni in my town as well. Trip reports to follow.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:57 PM

130 if you're lucky...this is going to be a VERY far cry from a 9 hole par 3 course.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:48 AM

I shot double par -- 70 -- yesterday at Sleeping Giant; 56 if you don't count penalty strokes haha. I couldn't hit a single drive straight, and my iron and wedge games sucked more than they ever have. Surprisingly my putting game (easily my worst aspect) was pretty good.

I'll be playing the par-3 in my town this afternoon, hopefully I unbreak whatever I was doing wrong and stop shanking everything.