Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 AM

Default comparing 30\" monitors

I've recently been considering investing in a 30" monitor.

Most of the brands (dell, apple) don't stand out to me really. Seems like either would be fine.

However, I looked at the gateway model

http://www.gateway.com/accessories/p...72R.php?seg=hm

it looks absolutely stunning, however I had a few questions about it and other monitors.

1. Gateway seems to be pimping the ability to have multiple outputs (xbox 360, directv, etc etc). It also seems to have a set of speakers on it. If i'm playing xbox 360, do the sounds come through that, or through my 5.1 sound system? Is my 5.1 sound system necessary anymore?

I don't really understand how this would work. Let's say I got the Dell monitor. would I bet able to play xbox on it? where would the sounds come through? i don't quite understand if the speakers are separate or not.

2. Are all the abilities of the Gateway doable on the other models? There seems to be a price difference and I want to make sure that it's not just clever marketing by Gateway.

It looks really sick from what I can see. If the speakers on the Gateway are separate and allow tv viewing and xbox viewing then I would say it's worth it.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Right now I don't really give a crap about the money if the Gateway really has all those sick features. They're worth it to me because my roommate is moving out and is taking his 42" tv with him, and I'd like to play xbox and watch tv in my room anyways. Only problem is useless $100 wireless xbox adapter [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

One last question, would it be possible to watch TV on the 30" while doing computer stuff on another monitor? I will be using 3 monitors if I get the 30".
Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: comparing 30\" monitors

The sound will come from whatever speakers you hook up to the xbox. The speakers in the monitor will have their own audio-in jack. You can use them or not use them, it's up to you.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:07 PM

I own the XHD3000...

1. The speaker bar is detachable. You can either have the hooked up to your computer and sounds come thru that, or plug in your own sound system. Either or.

2. The 2 BIG things on the Gateway, and the reason I chose it over the other ones (Dell etc.) are the plethora of inputs and the upscaling ability of the monitor itself.

The inputs are overwhelming. Hook up everything and anything you want to it. Although Dell has a new 30" model coming out in the next few months that also has a bunch of inputs. But other than knowing that, details on it are very hard to come by right now, including price.

As for the upscaling, this is a big deal to me, as a gamer and movie watcher. I have a 65" Misubishi WD-65831, but this rig won't always be in the living room, so that's a nice perk. What the monitor can do is take a lower res. input (say 1920x1080 from your 360) and it upscales the image to 2560x1600 and looks INCREDIBLE! This does the same thing for cable TV, Direct TV, PC games etc. A huge deal to me and it does this wonderfully.

And to answer your last part...with all the inputs, you could have your 360 hooked up to it, along w/ cable or direct tv and watch tv while surfing the web etc. Why/How? It has PIP and you can move the PIP window ANYWHERE onto the desktop you want [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Lemme know if you have other ???'s.

Here it is in my setup, btw:

Old 11-25-2007, 01:46 PM

Wow very interesting stuff Felixcat.

One thing i'm still a bit confused on. I was always under the assumption that if you played an xbox through a monitor that it was separate from the computer. like if i flipped through the diff inputs on my remote for the gateway, one would be the computer, one would be the xbox, one would be direct tv etc.

could you clarify the pip/sound thing? the way you're describing it, my computer would need to be running for me to play video games or watch tv, which is fine but im just a bit confused still.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow very interesting stuff Felixcat.

One thing i'm still a bit confused on. I was always under the assumption that if you played an xbox through a monitor that it was separate from the computer. like if i flipped through the diff inputs on my remote for the gateway, one would be the computer, one would be the xbox, one would be direct tv etc.

could you clarify the pip/sound thing? the way you're describing it, my computer would need to be running for me to play video games or watch tv, which is fine but im just a bit confused still.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can hook the 360 up thru the monitor w/ either HDMI (if you got one of the new ones) or w/ component cables and the RCA cables (for audio... and the two holes just to the right side of the speaker screw in the pic is where the speaker bar hooks up to the monitor), so you're all set.

Hope that makes sense. The monitor HAS RCA, digital, and optical AUDIO inputs as well as video. HTH's!